Ball State confers more than 1,200 graduates at fall commencement ceremony

<p>A graduate watches Trustee Emeritus Matt Mompers' commencement address at Fall Commencement Dec. 16 at Worthen Arena. Ball State conferred more than 1,200 doctoral, specialist, master’s and baccalaureate degrees during the ceremony. Daniel Kehn, DN</p>

A graduate watches Trustee Emeritus Matt Mompers' commencement address at Fall Commencement Dec. 16 at Worthen Arena. Ball State conferred more than 1,200 doctoral, specialist, master’s and baccalaureate degrees during the ceremony. Daniel Kehn, DN

Thousands of members of the Ball State family piled into Worthen Arena Dec. 16 as Ball State University celebrated its 197th commencement. 

The university conferred more than 1,200 doctoral, specialist, master’s and baccalaureate degrees.

A day after being approved with the title of trustee emeritus for his service to Ball State, board member Matt Momper gave the commencement address titled “Life Lessons I Learned after College.” On Dec. 31, Momper will complete his 16-year stint on the board. 

Momper is a 1983 Ball State graduate and serves as the president of Momper Insulation, with three locations in northern Indiana. He is also the central region president for Installed Building Products, LLC and president of MK Properties.

He told graduates to establish a good work ethic at a company, institution or organization where they can work their way up and make an impact. 

“Make sure it's an employer that treats you right someplace where you can establish a career long term and when you're sure it's in place you want to commit, get involved the finding ways to help that place grow,” Momper said. 

His speech focused on his gratitude for being able to provide the university leadership and guidance in his more than 30 years of service while congratulating graduates for their accomplishments with personal and professional advice.
“Everyone here, your family, your friends, wonderful professors, we all believe in you,” he said. “We're proud of your accomplishments. We are confident of your abilities. And we know the other side of today's pomp and circumstances is a bright future ready for you to claim. So go forward, fly. secure in the knowledge that Ball State has prepared you to pursue fulfilling careers and meaningful lives.

Following Momper’s address, University President Geoffrey Mearns acknowledged that he had given Momper the president’s medal of distinction in recognition for his service, dedication and devotion to Ball State.

Contact Daniel Kehn with comments at daniel.kehn@bsu.edu or on X @daniel_kehn.