Sylvester wins Athlete of the Week, candidates for 11/15-11/22

Yorktown sophomore Lilly Sylvester was voted as the Ball State Daily News Delaware County Athlete of the Week for the week of 11/8-11/15.

Yorktown sophomore small forward Lilly Sylvester shoots a free throw Nov. 14 at Yorktown High School. David Moore, DN.

Yorktown sophomore girls’ basketball player Lilly Sylvester is the Daily News Athlete of the Week from the week of 11/8-11/15. 

“It definitely just builds a little bit of confidence knowing that your community has your back,” Sylvester said.  

During that week, Sylvester shined in the Tiger’s win over Winchester as she recorded 22 points, nine rebounds, and had an assist. To her, the rest of the Tigers have been a big part of her success. 

“[We have been good] at moving the ball,” she said. “I think it's really gotten me and [sophomore] Addy [Barnes] a lot of shots up amongst a ton of other players.”

The Ball State Daily News will use this program to honor athletes who had an impressive week or a breakout performance. A candidate from each school will be chosen and the community can vote for the winner. 

Candidates will be announced every Wednesday with the voting closing on the following Saturday at 5 p.m. If you believe a certain student-athlete should be your school’s candidate, email the Daily News high school sports reporter Zach Carter at zachary.carter@bsu.edu

To vote for the athletes, check the Daily News Sports account on X. 

Here are your nominees for athlete of the week from 11/15 - 11/22. 

Delta: Sophomore girls’ basketball player Jillian Barr - In the Eagles’ loss to Wapahani on Nov. 17, Barr recorded a triple-double with 20 points, 10 rebounds, and 10 blocks. 

Burris: Sophomore girls’ basketball player Sydney Jackson - In the Owls’ loss to Wes-Del on Nov. 17, Jackson led Burris with 17 points, eight rebounds, a steal. 

Daleville: Sophomore girls’ basketball player Addi Gothrup - In the Broncos’ loss to Wapahani on Nov. 17, Gothrup led Daleville with 17 points and grabbed two rebounds. 

Wapahani: Senior boys’ basketball player Isaac Andrews - In the opening game of the season on Nov. 21, Andrews led the Raiders to a victory with 28 points. This was good enough to move him to sixth place on the all time Delaware County scoring list. 

Cowan: Senior girls’ basketball player Davelynn Lindsay - In the Blackhawks’ win over Elwood on Nov. 20, Lindsay recorded seven points, six rebounds, two assists, and four steals.