Johnson wins Delaware County Athlete of the Week, candidates for this week

Daleville junior Trishell Johnson was voted as the Ball State Daily News Delaware County Athlete of the Week for the week of 10/18-10/25.

Daleville junior Trishell Johnson poses with the sectional championship trophy Oct. 14 at Daleville High School. Photo provided by Daleville volleyball.

Daleville junior volleyball player Trishell Johnson is the Daily News Athlete of the Week for the week of 10/18-10/25. 

[The community support] is pretty cool,” she said. “It's a small [community], so everyone is there all the time.”

During the Broncos’ 3-1 regional loss to Faith Christian on Saturday, Nov. 21, Johnson led the team with 19 kills. She finished her junior season leading Daleville with 375 kills. 

“[Johnson] is a natural leader and consistently brought her best game day in and day out,” Daleville athletic director Ashley Fouch said. 

The Ball State Daily News will use this program to honor athletes who had an impressive week or a breakout performance. A candidate from each school will be chosen and the community can vote for the winner. 

Candidates will be announced every Wednesday with the voting closing on the following Saturday at 5 p.m. If you believe a certain student-athlete should be your school’s candidate, email the Daily News high school sports reporter Zach Carter at zachary.carter@bsu.edu

To vote for the athletes, check the Daily News Sports account on X. 

Here are your nominees for athlete of the week from 10/25 - 11/1. 

Delta: Senior football player Kaiden Bond - Bond led the Eagles with 174 rushing yards and two touchdowns. 

Yorktown: Junior football player Ephraim Daugherty - During the Tigers’ sectional loss, Daugherty had 82 receiving yards and two touchdown receptions. 

Wapahani: Senior cross country runner Nick Cook - Cook finished his high school cross country career in 39th place at the State Finals. 

Burris: Senior volleyball player Aubrey Miller - In the Owls’ semi-state championship win, Miller led Burris with 18 kills. 

Wes-Del: Senior football player Triton Blevins - Blevins had 147 passing yards and a touchdown pass. On the ground, he recorded 96 rushing yards and three rushing touchdowns.