Southerland wins Athlete of the Week

Delta's Nicki Southerland voted in as the Ball State Daily News Delaware County Athlete of the Week.

Nicki Southerland poses for a photo duirng the team's photoshoot. Mackenzie Dye Conley, photo provided.

Delta senior cross country runner Nicki Southerland is the Daily News Athlete of the Week from the week of 10/4 - 10/11. 

“[The community support] is really great,” Southerland said via text. “I am very thankful to have so many wonderful people supporting me.”  

Southerland came in first at the Delta Invitational at Taylor University on Saturday, Oct. 7. Delta athletic director Tilmon Clark believes that she is an even better person. 

“Week after week, she continues to represent the Delta community with class,” he said via email. “With her hard work, she continues to dominate the cross-country course!" 

Delta girls’ cross country head coach Mackenzie Dye Conley knows that Southerland will always be ready to perform due to how much she practices and prepares herself.

However, Southerland is not only viewed for her talent. Dye Conley see's her as one of the biggest team leaders for the Eagles. 

“[Southerland has] brought a positive energy and focus to the program that younger athletes now see as an expectation, instead of an outlier,” she said via text. 

Southerland recently committed to Notre Dame, which has been her dream school from a young age. On her first official visit, she was impressed by the facilities and enjoyed being around the coaching staff. 

“The team is really good, so I will always have lots of people to train with,” she said. “ I think it will help me improve in college.” 

The candidates for the week of 10/11-10/18 will be announced tomorrow afternoon. If you believe a certain student-athlete should be your school’s candidate, email the Daily News high school sports reporter Zach Carter at zachary.carter@bsu.edu