The Ball State Student Government Association approves three new budget requests

Ball State Student Government Association President Joseph Gassensmith gives his executive report in the L.A. Pittenger Student Center's Cardinal Hall B. He gave an update on their disability awareness platform points. Madelyn Bracken, DN

The Ball State Student Government Association (SGA) began by presenting three new budget requests for various upcoming events.

The first budget request was for the Safer Sex Education event in partnership with Health Promotion and Advocacy (HPA). The request was $300 for various adult toys with the knowledge that HPA will provide other contraceptives for students to take. The request was approved unanimously.

The off-campus committee presented a request for their trash clean-up event that will take place in The Village as well as other roads close to campus. The request for $55.91 included a trash grabber, trash bags and gloves as well as a brush and dust pan. The request was approved 33-2 with no abstentions.

Academic Affairs then requested $150 for their registration tabling event. This entails various things such as candy, a gift card and other gift basket items for a raffle that would take place during their tabling. The request was approved 34-1 with zero abstentions.

SGA then went into executive reports, beginning with President Joseph Gassensmith.

“The disability awareness platform point [is] going to faculty council in November,” Gassensmith said. “The proposal has been received by the chair of faculty council Chris Vanhoff. Monet and I will be speaking on those points and hopefully they will be adopted for the 2024-2025 academic term at this meeting.”

President Pro Tempore Brenna Large updated the Senate on two organizational visits she went on. She said they went well and she would reach out to the committees and caucuses that the information gathered applies to.

With no unfinished or new business, the Senate meeting was adjourned.

Contact Madelyn Bracken with comments at madelyn.bracken@bsu.edu.