CARTER: Three takeaways from the Colts’ 29-23 loss to the Rams

Zach Carter gives three takeaways from the Colts' 29-23 loss to the Rams

INDIANAPOLIS, INDIANA - OCTOBER 01: Puka Nacua #17 of the Los Angeles Rams celebrates a walk-off game-winning touchdown against the Indianapolis Colts during the fourth quarter at Lucas Oil Stadium on October 01, 2023 in Indianapolis, Indiana. (Photo by Justin Casterline/Getty Images)

I wrote after last week’s win against the Ravens that the Colts were going to lose the success that they started the 2023 campaign with. We all know it’s coming because good things don’t last forever, especially for the Horseshoe. I think it started with a guy named Andrew…

However, just because the Colts fell to the Los Angeles Rams 29-26 Sunday, I don’t believe this is the end of the season just yet. Trust me, there were some awful moments, and I’ll get to that. But I believe that there were some positives as well. 

Here are three takeaways from Indianapolis’ second loss of the season. 

Secondary is still awful

The first drive of the game was a sign that a rough first half was to follow. Matthew Stafford literally looked like Tom Brady during the series and a dumb personal foul hit on EJ Speed allowed the Rams to score a touchdown.

While there were some great plays by guys like Kenny Moore, it didn’t matter. Especially since the game-winning touchdown was given up so easily. I won’t lie, my mouth was agape at how open the play was. 

Like I’ve said multiple times this season, general manager Chris Ballard needs to stop bragging about cap space every offseason and use it. 

Anthony Richardson is the guy

I had a few colleagues go to the game in the Circle City. There were two things they complained about. One, the roof was closed. Come on, Jim Irsay, open the hatch. The second thing was something I expected when Richardson was drafted. Fans, more like individuals who don’t comprehend football, wanted Gardner Minshew to take over. Warning, evidently these guys had five teeth, and being honest, it’s probably true.

Richardson is black and has dreads. There, I said it. He’s not Peyton Manning or Andrew Luck. And you know what, I like it. This organization needed a change and Richardson is the guy that could do it. 

After that long rant that makes me hate some aspects of my home state, let’s bring it back to the game. Richardson’s first half was not excellent and the fumble late in the first half was a momentum killer. 

With the Colts down 23-0 going into halftime, I questioned if I should continue to watch. But something happened at the break. Something changed No. 5. 

Richardson came out of the gates on fire, making plays left and right. It was what I wanted from this season. I have to credit head coach Shane Steichen. He allowed his rookie quarterback to take off the training wheels and play the game. Spoiler alert. It worked very, very well as he went 11-for-25 for 200 passing yards and two touchdown passes. 

While the Colts lost, Richardson gave his team the chase to win the game, tying the battle between the four-legged mascots. And then his defense let him down in overtime. What a surprise. 

Jonathan Taylor is back?

Normally this piece would be out on Monday, but college assignments get in the way. Thanks, history class. 

While the Ball State Daily News was visited by James Boyd, the Colts beat writer for The Athletic, he and Bob Kravitz tuned into a press conference with Steichen. Taylor was being removed from the PUP list and will start practicing on Wednesday. 

What does this mean? Will he play on Sunday? Will he want to stay after realizing what this team has? 

None of those have been answered. Steichen mentioned that he could appear in the Colts’ game against the Tennessee Titans, but I doubt it. To be frank, I don’t think he’ll wear blue and white for two weeks. Give him one good game and someone will trade for him. Then the Colts will begin to falter and lose games. 

Like I said earlier, good things don’t last forever. While this loss doesn’t signal the downfall, Taylor’s return is about to be the beginning of the end for the 2023 Colts. 

Contact Zach Carter with comments at zachary.carter@bsu.edu or on X@ZachCarter85.