Yorktown outlasts conference rival Delta 1-0

Yorktown defeated Delta 1-0 for their sixth straight win.

The Yorktown ball carrier tries to get by the Delta defender Sep. 28 at Yorktown High School. Trinity Rea, DN.

After almost a full half of offensive attacks from Yorktown, the Tigers managed to connect with a goal, scoring the lone point in Thursday's match and earning the victory over Delta. 

The Tigers came out of the gates aggressive, maintaining possession for the majority of the first half. This strong attack did not wear down the Eagle defense and did not allow many shots on the goal.

This changed with less than 30 seconds to play in the first half as Yorktown senior forward Nina Fischer launched a kick, which landed in the back of the net. 

Fischer attributed her aggressiveness tonight to her desire to make up for all of the games she could have played harder in prior to her senior year. The fact that this was her last regular season game against the conference rival also added to her performance.

“This win was a good win,” Fischer said, “We want to ride this win, put this in the bag and focus on the future.” 

First-year Yorktown head coach Beverly Tanner is also excited about what this win means for her team. 

“We’re shooting for the sectional title this year,” she said. “That’s our focus everyday at practice and at each and every one of these games, just getting to that championship.”

Delta did not go out quietly as they continued to fight and began the second half with immense pressure on Yorktown’s keeper. Here, in the second half, they hit their first shots on goal of the night. 

This pressure from Delta continued until one final push was made around the three minute mark, an unofficial end of the game for the Eagles. 

This loss is not something to dwell on however as the second half showcased their young core and their potential. Delta sophomore goaltender Ruth Sherck spoke about the younger players after the game.

“There’s a lot of team chemistry, a lot of people who have played together for a long time, but also those who have not played in awhile,” Sherk said, “We have to adjust.”

As a team, Sherk said this loss will not derail them as they’re always improving and focusing on what’s ahead of them, not behind. 

Yorktown travels to face Shelbyville on Saturday, Sep. 29 at 4 p.m. in an effort to extend their six game win streak. Delta plays Centerville at home on Tuesday, Oct. 3 at 5 p.m.

Contact Trinity Rea via email at trinity.rea@bsu.edu or on X @thetrinityrea.