Ball State University Student Government Association gives updates on senate resolutions

Student Government Association (SGA) Vice President Monet Lindstrand gives her executive report in the Art and Journalism Building Lecture Hall 175 on Sept. 20.

The Ball State University Student Government Association (SGA) began their meeting with a special order of business, asking senators if they would be open to participating in the homecoming parade.

“If we participated in the parade it would mean that senators are primarily the ones walking in the parade, which is why we are asking you because we’d need enough people to actually go with the float.” Parliamentarian Brenna Large said.

On a majority vote, SGA will be doing a float in the homecoming parade in October.

With no special quests, new orders of business or unfinished business they went directly into executive reports beginning with President Joseph Gassesnsmith.

“Next Wednesday, I have a meeting with the Provost to discuss disability awareness points, and then next Friday I have a meeting with Suzanne from Health Promotion and advocacy to discuss the angel shot initiative further and how we’re going to move forward with that,” Gassensmith said.

Vice President Monet Lindstrand then gave an update on two senate resolutions (SR) from last semester. These are taken to University government and voted on to see whether or not they will be put into action.

In her update, Lindstrand is referencing SR 1:22-23 which proposed creating mental health days for the second semester. The update SGA received from Ro-Anne Royer-Engle, Vice President of Student Affairs, is that Provost Murray has received the resolution for consideration. He shared the resolution with the Academic Calendar Committee that will examine changes to the 2025-2026 calendar, which is the earliest the mental health days could be implemented.

Lindstrand then referenced SR 02:22-23, which proposed that the university should install urinal dividers in the men’s bathrooms on campus that are not already equipped with them.

“Facilities, Planning and Management offered us this response: they are in receipt of the resolution and although staff can appreciate what the students are asking for, at this time there are several other priorities for the University and limited resources and funds and personnel to maintain buildings on campus,” Lindstrand said. “If there’s an opportunity to address this issue during the renovation of our current buildings, or construction of new buildings or construction of new buildings, the University will try to do so.”

They then concluded Senate with Caucus and Committee meetings and reports.