Cardinals finish 13th at Red Sky Classic

Senior Kiah Parrott studies her putt with graduate assistant Valeria Patino Sep. 18 during the Brittany Kelly Classic at The Players Club. Zach Carter, DN.

Editors Note: The following story will be updated with quotes later

After winning at home in the Ball State hosted Brittany Kelly Classic, the Cardinals headed over 1200 miles west for the Golfweek Red Sky Classic in Wolcott, Colorado. 

In a stacked field of 16 competitors from across the country, including ninth-ranked Pepperdine, Ball State finished 13th place after three days of competition at the Red Sky Classic’s Fazio course. 

Throughout the three day affair, it was the consistency of sophomore Sarah Gallagher that shined with three straight rounds with scores just over par at 75, 75 and 74 respectively. 

Monday - Round One

The opening round of the classic ended with the Cardinals in last place after a rough initial round from the defending Mid-American Conference (MAC) Women's Golfer of the Week, senior Kiah Parrott, at 10-over-par. 

Gallagher led the way for Ball State at 3-under-par followed by junior Sabrina Langerak who improved her score late after closing out the first round with an eagle on the course’s final hole. 

Tuesday - Round Two 

Ball State was quickly able to leapfrog Little Rock as day two began off another strong performance from Gallagher that helped to propel the Cardinals.

Gallagher finished the second round, once again, 3-over par with a score of 75. Freshman JJ Gregston complimented Gallagher’s day two performance with a solid display of her own as she finished just one stroke behind at 4-over-par. 

The Cardinals would remain in 15th place throughout the second day and that is where they finished by the conclusion of the second round in tight contention with a number of teams in the lower half of the leaderboard.

Wednesday - Round Three

The Cardinals closed out their venture in Wolcott with a strong final round that helped them leapfrog another pair of teams to finish the competition in 13th place.

Scoring was highlighted by the Cardinals’ two sophomores, Jasmine Driscoll and Gallagher, who both finished with their best respective rounds of the event. Driscoll was the only Cardinal to go under the course's 72 par during the entirety of the tournament with a third-round score of 71. 

Ball State has two weeks to prepare for its next venture before the Cardinals head to Libertyville, Illinois for the Loyola Parkinson Invitational on Oct. 9. 

Contact Nick Shelton with comments at nicholas.shelton@bsu.edu or on X @NickS9954.