The Ball State University Student Government Association approves budget; three new cabinet members

Student Government Association (SGA) President Joseph Gassensmith gives his executive report in the L.A. Pittenger Student Center Ballroom on September 13. This was Gassensmith's first time addressing the Senate. Madelyn Bracken, DN

The Ball State Student Government Association (SGA) began its second meeting of the semester with a budget presentation by Treasurer Isaac Ledford. 

Ledford began with the executive portion of the budget. This portion includes transportation funds for a new blue loop bus as well as more blue lights on Riverside and in the areas around the Ball State University Apartment complexes.

The executive portion this year is a larger sum compared to previous years due to the adjustment of the Senate discretionary allowance.

“The senate discretionary allowance has $7,500 in there at this moment,” Ledford said. “That is lower than what you guys received last year, however, last year only $5,000 was spent from senate.”

The budget, a total of $49,259, was approved on a vote of 22-0 with two abstentions.

Parliamentarian Brian Truell presented for the approval of standing rules, which govern the conduct of senate members and their interactions with SGA. The standing rules were approved unanimously.

Cabinet appointments followed, beginning with the Secretary of Transportation. Chief of Staff Katrina Leming presented on behalf of Maria Henriquez for the position. Henriquez was approved on a vote of 22-1 with one abstention.

Ethan Hartsfield then presented for Secretary of Governance and was approved unanimously, followed by Elections Board Commissioner Seattle Greenwell who was approved 23-0 with one abstention.

Senate applicants followed, beginning with the Collegiate Caucus. Rick Kann, a representative for the College of Communication, Information and Media (CCIM) was approved unanimously. Caroline Emerick, representing the Miller College of Business was also approved unanimously.

The At-Large Caucus approved Savannah Hutchinson on a vote of 26-0 with one abstention, Chelsea Murdock on a vote of 27-1 with no abstentions and Graham Baker-Olson on a vote of 22-3 with one abstention.

The Off-Campus Caucus approved Senator Madison Wilingham 27-2 with zero abstentions to conclude approvals of new members.

President Joseph Gassensmith began executive reports.

“This will be the first year where the focus is really on projects rather than event planning, so I’m really looking forward to that,” Gassensmith said.

Gassensmith informed the senate that a meeting had been held with Facilities Planning and Management about bus stop shelters and that there would be more information in the coming meetings. 

They concluded with announcements, noting that Cardinal Closet will have open hours on Sept. 14 from 4-5:30 p.m. for anyone who is in need of businesswear. They also encouraged attending SGA 101 on September 18 from 5-6 p.m. to meet senators and learn more about SGA.

Contact Madelyn Bracken with comments at madelyn.bracken@bsu.edu.