The Ball State University Student Government Association approves eight new members; four freshman

The Ball State Student Government Association (SGA) held their first meeting of the academic year

<p>Student Government Association (SGA) Vice President Monet Lindstrand gives her executive report in the L.A. Pittenger Student Center Ballroom on Aug30. This was the first SGA meeting of the fall semester. Madelyn Bracken, DN</p>

Student Government Association (SGA) Vice President Monet Lindstrand gives her executive report in the L.A. Pittenger Student Center Ballroom on Aug30. This was the first SGA meeting of the fall semester. Madelyn Bracken, DN

The Ball State Student Government Association (SGA) began their first meeting of the academic year with an announcement about Homecoming nominations. Nominations and voting will be done in house through forms.

Approval of members began with new Parliamentarian Brian Truell, a previous member of the senate, who was approved on a vote of 17-0 with one abstention.

Next was previous Senator Katrina Leming, who was up for Chief of Staff. Leming was approved 16-0 with two abstentions.

Much of the remainder of approvals were new members running for cabinet positions, including Press Secretary Karstyn Hopkins, Secretary of Diversity, Equity and Inclusion Rileigh Lancaster and Secretary of Academic Affairs Grace Agan.

Secretary of Justice Payton Male was also new to SGA, her and all other new positions having to present in front of the current senate for approval.

“I’m not going to say that I’m more qualified than them, but I do feel like I have the skills and also the determination to make sure that this role is filled to the best of my ability.” Male said.

Returning SGA senator Sarah Owens was approved as the Secretary of Environmental Affairs with a vote of 17-1 with zero abstentions.

Collegiate Caucus applicant Younique Jones, a representative for the College of Science and Humanities was approved unanimously.

SGA went on to approve four more At-Large Senate members, all of which being freshmen. The new senators are Brayden Hall, Thomas Charles, Abigail Mcavoy and Owen Nowlin.

The meeting continued with executive reports, Treasurer Isaac Ledford gave an update about budgets and his committee.

“We’re diligently hammering away at the budget right now, we’ll have a proposal ready for you on the 13 of September, so keep looking forward to that,” Ledford said. “Again, I’m sticking to my promise of showing you guys the budget every single SGA meeting.”

The meeting was then adjourned after an announcement about the cancellation of next week's SGA meeting and a reminder of the date of the next one, which will be September 13.

Contact Madelyn Bracken with comments at madelyn.bracken@bsu.edu.