Lacy Schurr steps down from Ball State Softball head coach, heading to Pitt

Head Coach Lacy Schurr directs her team in a game against Toledo April 7 at First Merchant Ballpark Complex. Schurr is in her third year coaching at Ball State. Brayden Goins, DN

Ball State Softball head coach Lacy Schurr is stepping down from her position and will move into a role with the coaching staff at the University of Pittsburgh, according to Ball State athletics. 

Schurr is moving on the be the associate head coach at the University of Pittsburgh

“We are grateful to Lacy for her contributions to the Ball State program, and we wish her well at Pitt,” said Director of Athletics Jeff Mitchell. “Our program is on an upward trajectory, and I’m excited to search for a coach that continues our upward path.”

In Schurr’s three seasons with Ball State, she led the Cardinals to an 85-75 (.534) overall record. In Mid-American Conference (MAC) play, the Cardinals were 63-34 (.649) and won the most MAC wins in a season in program history 31 wins in her first season. 

The Cardinals also set the program record for most consecutive MAC wins in a season with 16 conference wins. In her final season at the helm of the Cardinals, Ball State clinched their first MAC Tournament berth since 2019. 

The Cardinals fell short with back-to-back losses to Miami and Central Michigan. 

Contact the Sports Section with comments at sports@bsudailynews.com or on Twitter @dn_sports.