Nominations wanted for the 31st Annual Women’s Equality Day Program

<p>Vivian V. Conley, pictured here, was a civil rights activist in Muncie, Indiana, at the forefront of many community issues relating to education, civil, and elderly rights. A ceremony recognizing honorees for the Coalition of Women’s Organizations 2022 Women's Equality Day celebration is scheduled for August 28, 2023, with each honoree recieving a Vivian V. Conley Certificate. (WaTasha Barnes Griffin)</p>

Vivian V. Conley, pictured here, was a civil rights activist in Muncie, Indiana, at the forefront of many community issues relating to education, civil, and elderly rights. A ceremony recognizing honorees for the Coalition of Women’s Organizations 2022 Women's Equality Day celebration is scheduled for August 28, 2023, with each honoree recieving a Vivian V. Conley Certificate. (WaTasha Barnes Griffin)

The Muncie-Delaware County Coalition of Women’s organizations is looking for local nominations of women to honor during the 31st Annual Women’s Equality Day Program. 

The Coalition invites nominations of women who have made an impact and contribution in the arts, education, religion, business, politics, environment and social or community service by improving the quality of life in the community. Other categories will also be considered, according to the release.

Six women will be honored on the Aug. 28 program at 5 p.m. at the Muncie City Hall auditorium. 

Those honored will be awarded a Vivian V. Conley Recognition Certificate. 

Conley attended Ball State in her 60s, earning her degree bachelor's degree in political science and her master's degree in gerontology. She was at the forefront of community issues relating to civil rights, education and aging. 

Organizations that make up the coalition are the League of Women Voters of Muncie-Delaware County, American Association of University Women, The National Organization for Women, the Indiana Women of Achievement Awards Committee, and the Coalition of l00 Women, according to the report. 

“This program is important because it shines light on the contributions women make in society, politics, business, civic, and humanitarian efforts. One of the most important achievements in the fight for equality has been women winning the right to vote,” WaTasha Barnes Griffin, chief executive officer of YWCA said. “As a member of the planning committee, I count it an honor to serve in a community where so many women are working to enhance the quality of life and place.”

Information about the event and nominee details will be announced prior to the event. 

To nominate someone a letter of nomination of 250 worlds or less is needed describing the nominees contributions. The letter should be submitted by Friday, July 14, 2023. 

Submit the letter to womensequalitydaymuncie@gmail.com or by postal mail to: YWCA Central Indiana-310 E. Charles St. Muncie, IN 47305.