Ball State diver arrested, charged with burglary and strangulation

<p>Water stands still in the pool Sept. 22, 2020, at Lewellen Aquatic Center. This facility is where the men&#x27;s and women&#x27;s swim teams practice and compete. <strong>Jacob Musselman, DN</strong></p>

Water stands still in the pool Sept. 22, 2020, at Lewellen Aquatic Center. This facility is where the men's and women's swim teams practice and compete. Jacob Musselman, DN

Editor's Note: This story has been updated.

Ball State first-year diver Madison Hischer was arrested and charged with counts of burglary and strangulation with probable cause in the early afternoon of May 3 following an incident three days earlier where Hischer entered her ex-boyfriend’s home in the 1200 block of West Marsh Street in Muncie, Indiana, and assaulted fellow diver, second-year Ashleigh Provan. 

Ball State first-year diver Madison Hischer was arrested May 3 in Muncie, Indiana, with probable cause, and was subsequently charged with burglary and strangulation. Hischer admitted to these charges and was released on bail later that day. Photo Provided, Delaware County Sheriff's Office

According to the affidavit from the Delaware County Sheriff’s Office, filed by Muncie Police Department (MPD) officer Jami Brown, Hischer entered the home through her ex-boyfriend’s unlocked bedroom window after attempting to enter through the front door. When Hischer attempted to enter through the front door, using the keypad, her ex-boyfriend held the door shut. 

Once in the home, Hischer ran at Provan, pushing her against the wall where Provan hit the back of her head. Hischer proceeded to grab Provan by the throat, an attack visible when Provan was questioned by MPD the next day. 

Hischer was then pulled off of Provan by her ex-boyfriend, who forcibly removed her from his home. When Hischer’s ex-boyfriend was questioned May 3, bruises were visible on his right hand and right inner arm, something he said he obtained from the struggle at his front door to keep Hischer out of the house. 

A short time before the incident, Hischer walked into her ex-boyfriend’s home when the front door was unlocked and asked to use his bathroom. He obliged but told her she needed to leave after, which she did. 

Hischer agreed to questioning without an attorney present shortly after her arrest, where she admitted to these allegations. Hischer said she was upset her ex-boyfriend had moved on after only being broken up for a few weeks, prompting the behavior. She said she knew she would be able to enter through his bedroom window because it didn’t shut properly. 

Hischer was released on bail shortly after 8 p.m. May 3.

When the Ball State Daily News reached out to Ball State Athletics, they said they were familiar with the situation but did not have additional details to provide.