Cardinals defeat Eastern Michigan, complete weekend sweep

<p>The Ball State Women&#x27;s Tennis teams cheers when a point is scored in a MAC Championship doubles match against Toledo May 1, 2022 at Cardinal Creek Tennis Courts. Amber Pietz, DN</p>

The Ball State Women's Tennis teams cheers when a point is scored in a MAC Championship doubles match against Toledo May 1, 2022 at Cardinal Creek Tennis Courts. Amber Pietz, DN

After picking up a win at home Friday, Ball State was looking to sweep the weekend as they went on the road to face the Eastern Michigan Eagles (5-5, 2-3 MAC).

The Cardinals (15-3, 4-1 MAC) picked up a hard-fought 5-2 win, putting them in a good spot at the midway point of the Mid-American Conference (MAC) regular season. They’ve won four out of their five matches in conference play, and remain just one game behind the Toledo Rockets for first place in the conference.

Ball State had to grind out the doubles point to start the match. Fourth-years Emily Desai and Jessica Braun have played well during conference play at third doubles and ended up getting the breaks they needed to claim a 7-5 win. On court one, fourth-year Amy Kaplan and first-year Annika Planinsek also had a battle. They found a way to come out on top with another 7-5 win to give the Cardinals the doubles point.

In singles play, third-year Masha Polishchuk and Kaplan took care of their matches swiftly, winning in straight sets. Polishchuk won 6-2, 6-2, while Kaplan claimed a 6-4, 6-2 victory. Planinsek had to scrap out a 6-4, 7-5 win at fourth singles, while Desai didn’t have it easy either in her sixth singles match. It was a back-and-forth match in which she needed a second-set tiebreak to claim it. She won 7-5, 7-6 (7-4) to give the Cardinals their fifth point.

With just five matches left in conference play, the Cardinals need to continue to focus on what they control. The back half of the conference season won’t be easy. They’ll be back in action Friday, as they hit the road again for a match with the Western Michigan Broncos, beginning at 1 p.m.

Contact Caleb Zuver with comments at cmzuver@bsu.edu or on Twitter @zuves35.