Ball State Student Government Association’s Committee for Community and Environment Affairs to add signage to the Community Garden.

Treasurer Mamed Ramazanli gives his executive report in the L.A. Pittenger Student Center Ballroom March 15. He announced that he is planning an Earth Day Fair event. Madelyn Bracken, DN

The Ball State University Student Government Association (SGA) began its meeting with nominations for the upcoming elections for both chief administrator and treasurer.

The nominees for chief administrator are Sen. Kyle Wickizer, nominated by Sen. Casey Rockell, and Sen. Sam Schlatter, nominated by Sen. Sarah Owens. Both accepted their nominations.

Treasurer nominees are Sen. Jackson Phenis, nominated by. Rockell, and Sen. Isaac Ledford, nominated by Sen. Noah Steepleton. Both nominees accepted.

The Community and Environment Affairs Committee requested $490 total for four signs to increase ease of access to the garden, since many struggle to find the garden. The money encompasses all four signs and installation.

“I think we definitely need the signs to make it more welcoming and just let people know where it is,” Ledford said.

The request was approved 25-0.

Student Services Committee requested $37.97 for stress toys and stickers for a mental health event at the scramble light. The request was approved on a vote of 24-1.

President Tina Nguyen announced that she is having a meeting with the head of parking services during her executive report after sending out a survey.

Vice President Monet Lindstrand is having a final meeting with University Dining Services for the semester to talk about any last comments and concerns before the end of the school year. She encouraged members to send her anything they would like mentioned in the meeting.

Senator Sarah Owens requests $490 for the Community and Environmental Affairs Committee in the L.A. Pittenger Student Center Ballroom March 15. She explained the need for signage to help direct students to the community garden. Madelyn Bracken, DN

Treasurer Mamed Ramazanli informed the senate they still have about $8,500 available to spend, as well as he is planning an Earth Day Fair that will take place on the University Green.

“I think this is something that Ball State used to do in the past, but because of the pandemic that was stopped.” Ramazanli said, “I’m really excited about this and I can’t wait.”

Student amendment (SA) 09:22-23 was voted on. The amendment proposes to clarify senator requirements when visiting other organizations. 

It passed 23-2.

Three new amendments were introduced 

SA 10:22-23, if passed, would update the title of “Secretary of Diversity” to “Secretary of Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion” because it better encompasses the position.

SA 11:22-23, if passed, would broaden the role and lessen the requirements of membership to the Recruitment and Retention Committee and expand the authority of the president pro tempore. The committee would also work with the Secretary of Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion.

The last amendment proposed is SA 12:22-23. Similar to SA 10:22-2, this amendment, if passed, would update the name of the Diversity and Multicultural Committee, changing it to the Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion Committee (DE&I) to better reflect the role and efforts of the committee.

These three amendments will be voted on at the next meeting, March 22. 

Contact Madelyn Bracken with comments at madelyn.bracken@bsu.edu.