Ball State Student Government Association votes in new at-large senator, approves $1,000 for stickers

Ball State Pathways Project program coordinator Kayla Thompson presents in the student center ballroom on March 1. She explains the purpose of the pathways project and the services it provides. Madelyn Bracken, DN

The Ball State University’s Student Government Association (SGA) began their meeting with a special presentation from the Pathways Project.

The Pathways Project is, “a graduate school initiative for inclusive excellence for students, faculty, and staff designed to foster equity and mentoring in graduate education at Ball State University,” according to their website

Senator applicant Veronica Bedwell then presented for an At-Large Caucus position. Bedwell is involved in multiple campus organizations including One Love and the Student Social Work Association. 

Their main concerns are sexual assault and harassment awareness, addiction resources, disability accommodations and mental health awareness. 

They were voted in on a vote of 25-0 with one abstention.

There were three budget requests. At-large requested $436.36 for St. Patrick’s Day goodie bag materials, such as bracelets and chocolate coins, that would be handed out at the scramble light.

It was approved on a vote of 25-0 with two abstentions.

The Collegiate Caucus requested $1,000 for college loyalty stickers. Each college at the university would receive its own sticker design that will be handed out via tabling.

“I do think that we should approve this budget request seeing as - who doesn’t like stickers and I’m sure people will enjoy it,” Sen. Casey Rockel said. “It will be a great way to get SGA’s name out there to the student body.”

The stickers were approved on a vote of 22-3 with two abstentions.

The On-Campus Caucus requested $100 for their own St. Patrick’s Day goodie bag materials to also be handed out at the scramble light. 

It was approved 26-1 with zero abstentions.

Vice President Monet Lindstrand gives her executive report in the L.A. Pittenger Student Center Ballroom March 1. She highlighted the progress of the Student Dining Advisory board. Madelyn Bracken, DN

During her executive report, Vice President Monet Lindstrand gave an update about the student dining advisory board.

“Last Wednesday, after senate we had our Student Dining Advisory board meeting, in which we met with a representative from Envision Strategies, that’s who Ball State University contracted with so that they could work with on their five-year dining master plan,” Lindstrand said. “They were doing different focus groups, so we were able to be one of the focus groups who got to talk to them about different things we want to see on campus.”

Chief Administrator Jimmy Mitchell noted student trustee applications close Wednesday, March 1 at 11:59 p.m. 

Chief-of-Staff Joseph Gassensmith clarified some information on his blue light map initiative during his executive report.

“I know that it was pointed out that UPD already has a blue light map on their website, but this is quite simply just a general university map that has very small icons,” Gassensmith said, “The goal with the map that I’m creating is to highlight where these are actually located and make it visible in a mobile format to be used.”

There were no pieces of unfinished business this week, however, student amendment (SA) 09:22-23 was introduced.

SA 09:22-23 would clarify the language when talking about the two organizations that senators are required to visit, clearing up what is considered an organization and who they are to communicate with in order for the requirement to be filled.

They also recognized the Ball State campus band for their winter concert as well as the German club for their Staatskongress event.

Contact Madelyn Bracken with comments at madelyn.bracken@bsu.edu.