Cardinals roll to 6-1 win over Youngstown State

Sophomore Mariya Polishchuk goes for the ball in the women's tennis MAC Champtionship match against Toledo May 1 at Cardinal Creek Tennis Courts. Amber Pietz, DN

The Ball State women’s tennis team is coming back to Muncie after picking two wins in northeast Ohio.

The first came in a 5-2 win against Cleveland State, and the second came on Feb. 11 over Youngstown State.

Head coach Max Norris wanted to switch the lineups around for the match today and wanted to see more production out of doubles. He got exactly that. 

The Cardinals cruised to 6-1 wins in the second and third doubles and even finished out the first doubles match with a 7-6 win. 

The good start was something the team had been lacking in their last couple of matches. They finally got that today, and it led right into singles play. 

Third-year Masha Polishchuk won 6-2, 6-1 in the first singles. Then, fourth-year Allison Mulville stepped into her first singles match of the year in the sixth slot and won 6-2, 6-4.

Second-year Elena Malykh, first-year Annika Planisek, and fourth-year Jessica Braun all played one spot up from their usual singles matchups. They didn’t miss a beat. 

They all won in straight sets to give the Cardinals the win with plenty of room to spare. 

The team has had somewhat of an up-and-down start to the year. They had a big win versus Louisville, then followed it up with a loss at home to James Madison. They’re coming out of the weekend with two huge wins and hope to continue the momentum into next weekend, where they’ll have back-to-back home matches, starting Saturday, Feb. 18 against Western Kentucky at 1 p.m. 

Contact Caleb Zuver with comments at cmzuver@bsu.edu or on Twitter @zuves35.