High hopes for affordable housing in Muncie

Affordable housing coming to Muncie.

MUNCIE, INDIANA---There is continued progress on a project to have more affordable housing throughout the city.

In a community update video, Mayor Dan Ridenour said there are plans to have a total of 93 new single-family homes built in various neighborhoods.

“This is a way to help build neighborhoods and it’s a way to help impact those areas that have had a lot of disinvestments,” said Ridenour. “It’ll put investment back into the community.”

Muncie has partnered with Muncie Land bank to make some of the properties available to developers. Altogether, city officials say the projects total to an estimated $33 million in investments.

“We have worked hard to make this work,” said Ridenour. “It’s taking lots that we own that are not generating taxes and we’ll put homes on them, and we’re really excited about that investment into our neighborhoods that are so important to us.”

Homes are set to be built in the neighborhoods of Thomas Park, South Central, Southside, Industry, Whitely, Eastside, Blaine, Southeast and Old West End. Officials say some of the sites are going to be where the redevelopment commission owned or that the Muncie Land Bank made available.

Ridenour says that the 93 homes will be part of a rent-to-own program, making way for better ownership opportunities for tenants.

“It’s a really good program,” exclaimed Ridenour “We’re really excited to be a part of it.”

Muncie Land Bank has been hosting their “First Friday” talks where they invite the public to give input on the projects.

The next public session will take place at the Maring-Hunt Branch Library on March 3 at 12:30 p.m. Lunch will be provided and there is no cost to attend.

A speaker has yet to be announced.

Contact Alex Almanza with comments at aalmanza@bsu.edu