Gassensmith and Lindstrand delcared winners in 2023 SGA elections

Voter turnout at 9 percent for first contested election since 2020

<p>Ball State Student Government Associaton (SGA) Presidental Nominee Joseph Gassensmith and Vice Presidental Nominee Monet Lindstrand discuss SGA&#x27;s community garden. Gassensmith, the current SGA chief of staff, and Monet, the current SGA vice president, have been a part of the senate for three years. Abigail Denault, DN</p>

Ball State Student Government Associaton (SGA) Presidental Nominee Joseph Gassensmith and Vice Presidental Nominee Monet Lindstrand discuss SGA's community garden. Gassensmith, the current SGA chief of staff, and Monet, the current SGA vice president, have been a part of the senate for three years. Abigail Denault, DN

Joseph Gassensmith and Monet Lindstrand have won the 2023 Student Government Association (SGA) executive ticket elections in the first contested election since 2020.

The Gassensmith and Lindstrand ticket garnered 635 votes, or 68 percent, while the Empower ticket, consisting of Skylar Ellis and Taylor Perry, received 303 votes, or 32 percent of total votes cast, according to Abby Haworth, director of student life.

The voter turnout of 8.3 percent is up by 4.36 percent from last year, and the 938 total votes is the most since the 2020 runoff election, where 1853 students cast their ballots. 

Lindstrand will be vice president for a second consecutive year, having been elected to the position last year on the RISE ticket with SGA President Tina Nguyen in the third election to be unopposed since 2018.

The Gassensmith and Lindstrand Instagram posted a video of the president-elect and vice-president-elect and saying they “are so excited to be your next SGA President and Vice President.” 

The inauguration for Gassensmith and Lindstrand for their term will be April 19 at 3:15 p.m. in Cardinal Hall in the Student Center.