Three new senators appointed and two amendments proposed at the first Ball State Student Government Association meeting of 2023

The Ball State Student Government Association (SGA) opened its first meeting of the year appointing three senators, and had two new amendments proposed. 

Now appointed Sen. Noah Clark was the first to present his application in front of the senate. Clark also was a senator last year. 

“I love to make a difference, and I think the student government is the best way to start with that,” Clark said. “You really work with a lot of organizations on campus, obviously, but it's also just the outreach that we do. I think obviously different projects, for instance, the student garden that we are putting in, is just a really strong initiative and it really helps make a difference for the different students [that] get people involved.”

Sen. Clark was voted in unanimously to the At-Large Caucus.

Kyle Wickizer presented his application for the At-Large Caucus as well, talking about a few of his strengths. Wickizer was also a senator previously. 

“I do like working with others a lot,” Wickizer said. “I find that I work better bouncing off other others ideas and trying to cooperate with others. I am adaptable to pretty much anything, if we're doing something different or starting a new project, I'm right on board and I try to be as punctual as I possibly can.”

Sen. Wickizer was voted in unanimously. 

The last senator to be appointed was Shaina Miller, and she joined the At-Large Caucus. 

“I just like the experience of getting to know more about how the Student Government Association works and just getting Senate experience,” Miller said. “Also, I just care a lot about on campus issues, especially environmental issues, it means a lot to me.”

Sen. Miller was voted in unanimously. 

During committee reports, Chief of Staff Joeseph Gassensmith reported on an upcoming presentation set for  Jan. 26. The presentation is from Christopher Palladino, assistant director for capital planning and real estate management, who will be talking about the Ball State campus master plan. The presentation is set to begin at 5 p.m. in AJ175.

The first Senate Amendment (SA 5: 22-23) proposed was for the creation of  a Secretary of Transportation. This positon would monitor and make recommendation changes to all campus transportation, work with the Office of Transportation Services and the Offices of Facility Planning and Management, advise the SGA president about possible solutions and would  be a non-voting member and advisor to Student Services Committee. 

The second Senate Amendment (SA 6: 22-23) proposed was to  change the signature requirement for creating amendments. It would change the requirement of 100 student signatures to 50. 

Contact Elijah Poe with comments at elijah.poe@bsu.edu or on Twitter @ElijahPoe4.