The Health Promotion and Advocacy presented for the last Ball State Student Government meeting of the semester.

The Health Promotion and Advocacy (HPA) presents for the Ball State Student Government Association on Dec. 7 in the L.A. Pittenger Student Center. HPA presented what they do as an organization and what resources and help they give to students. Elijah Poe, DN

The Ball State Student Government Association (SGA) held its last meeting of the semester. Being the last meeting of the year it was a short one. 

The meeting opened up with the Health Promotion and Advocacy (HPA) as a special guest. Presenting was the Health and Wellness Coordinator Destiny Cherry, Victim Advocate Anna McGee from the Center for Survivor Support and Graduate-assistant Eden Jordan.

“We do a lot relating to physical health, like alcohol and drug education,” Cherry said. “Working out, getting exercise, sleep, hydration, really anything that kind of falls in that realm. We also talk about sexual health quite a bit, so we have safer sex resources for students completely free in our health center. We also talked quite a bit about mental health as well.”

McGee talked about some of the things the Center for Survivor Support does on campus. 

“We really exist to provide inclusive survivor-centered support to any student who experiences gender-based violence,” McGee said. “So this could be relationship violence, it could be stalking or sexual assault, so a number of ways that we do that if that student is interested in reporting, we can help them report either to the University Police Department, Title Nine, maybe both, maybe neither. We can sit through those interviews with them [and] kind of help them with that process afterward. [We] help them know what to expect before going into those things and things of that sort we also provide education on victims’ rights.”

They also talked about how they are pushing for social media outreach as well.

They also have Mental Health First Aid training, which is a class where students are trained on mental health. It is a three-year certification paid for by offices on campus. If anyone is interested contact Cherry or McGee for more information. 

During the five-minute Caucus meetings with optional reports, only two Caucasus came up. The At-Large Caucus mentioned how they are preparing for the next semester, and the On-Campus Caucus is looking into emails for future senators. 

After another five minutes of committee meetings, reports were again optional. Student Services Chair Trent McKenize announced it was his last senate and the person to replace him for the chair is Sen. Hunter Case. 

Contact Elijah Poe with comments at elijah.poe@bsu.edu or on Twitter @ElijahPoe4.