Free cancer screening

IU Health will be offering free breast and cervical cancer screening Thursday.

MUNCIE, Ind. -- IU Health at Ball Memorial Hospital will be offering free breast and cervical cancer screening this Thursday from 6-9 p.m. 

Women aged 21-65 will be eligible, as long as they have not had a pap test in the last year or a total hysterectomy. However, you will still need to register. You can register over the phone at (765) 751-2727 or on the event tab on their website

Space is limited, so register as soon as possible. It’s advised that screening should be done regularly, even if you haven’t displayed any signs of cancer. 

“Early diagnosis of cancer is critical to treatment, cure and survival. Screening for cancer is a way to find cancer early. Offering a free breast and cervical cancer screening will hopefully allow women to be screened by eliminating barriers,” said Becky Butts, Coordinator of Community Education. “IU Health is dedicated to proving free screening and ensuring all women have adequate access to care. Women attending will have access to financial assistance if any follow-up care is needed after the screening.”

The screenings will be done at Ball Memorial Hospital on 221 N. Celia Avenue starting at 6 p.m. MITS bus stops are nearby for those without transportation to and from the hospital. 

Contact Zachary Vance with comments at zachary.vance@bsu.edu