ZUVER: It Can’t Be Time to Believe Again, Can It?

A seeming family of three waits in line during Indianapolis Colts quarterback Matt Ryan's autograph signing at Kia of Muncie and Toyota of Muncie's Tent Sale July 22, 2022. The man and young girl in the photo are wearing Colts halfback Jonathan Taylor's jersey while the woman wears former Colt and now free agent wide receiver T.Y. Hilton's jersey. (Kyle Smedley/DN)

How are we supposed to feel? 

It's a question that Indianapolis Colts fans have been left feeling after a number of games this year. Whether it was the tie in Houston or the ugly wins vs. Kansas City and Denver, this Colts season is confusing.

Sunday's game against the Jacksonville Jaguars was no different.

The Colts faced a 14-3 deficit in the first half, but behind the arm of Matt Ryan and a hungry defensive line, they came back to win 34-27. 

How are Colts fans supposed to feel?

In the NFL, you're judged by what you do on Sundays between those white lines. And on Sunday, the Colts did what they had to do.

After the Denver game, many people said the same thing; the Colts did what they had to do.

But this one feels different, right?

Maybe it's because the offensive line kept Matt Ryan clean.

Through the first five weeks, there was an argument that no unit in the NFL was playing below its market value more than the Indianapolis Colts' offensive line. 

With almost 41 Million dollars invested into Ryan's bodyguards, they had allowed 21 sacks in the first five weeks – More than the amount they let up in the 2020 season.

On Sunday, the young defensive duo of Josh Allen and Travon Walker for the Jaguars couldn't bring Ryan down to the ground even once. 

Or maybe it's the defensive line of the Colts that General Manager Chris Ballard has tried to invest in, rattling a young Quarterback in a hostile environment. 

Grover Stewart, Deforest Buckner, Tyquan Lewis and Ifeadi Odeingbo all got to Trever Lawrence once. 

All over defensively, the Colts came up big situationally.

With the Jaguars leading 21-19 and threatening to stretch the lead to two scores late in the third quarter, the Colts stopped the Jaguars on a fourth-and-1 on their 32-yard line. Or when the defense, after Jacksonville milked a long 18-play drive, stopped the two-point conversion to keep the deficit at one with 2 minutes to go. 

Maybe Colts fans are incredibly excited about Indianapolis's wide receiver room. 

Michael Pittman Jr. amassed 134 yards on 13 catches, Deon Jackson had 10 receptions out of the backfield in the absence of starting running back Johnathan Taylor and Alec Pierce's first touchdown in the NFL was the game-winning touchdown with 17 seconds to go.

All of these are positive signs. And all of them deserve praise.

But, when Frank Reich, in crunch time, down by one, is faced with a third-and-13 call just barely within kicker Chase McLaughlin's range, decides to go for the touchdown and succeeds?

That's the type of decision and play, that can turn around a season. 

Not everything was great on Sunday. In fact, this team hasn't felt great all year, and the offense is anemic. The defense is the only reason this team stays in games right now.

But, for one day, the tables turned. 

And maybe, just maybe, it's a sign of things to come as the season goes along.  

With everything that went right for the Colts on Sunday, that play to end the game is the icing on the cake. 

And could give them the spark they need to take back the narrative of this season. 

Contact Caleb Zuver with comments at cmzuver@bsu.edu or on Twitter @zuves35.