Cardinals stay unbeaten in MAC play, defeat Bowling Green

The starting Cardinals rallied together to discuss strategy before a game against Northern Illinois  Sept. 29. Ball State defeated the Huskies 4-1. Meghan Sawitzke, DN.
The starting Cardinals rallied together to discuss strategy before a game against Northern Illinois Sept. 29. Ball State defeated the Huskies 4-1. Meghan Sawitzke, DN.

Two Teams Undefeated in the Mid-American Conference (MAC) went head-to-head Oct. 2 with Bowling Green’s streak coming to an end. 

North on 69 before heading east on 469, to route 24, until route 6 took the Cardinals all the way into Falcon territory.

A two-and-a-half-hour journey of bonding ended in a Cardinal victory after breaking their losing streak against Bowling Green State University. 

Ball State got an early start to prepare for their game by leaving on Saturday, Oct. 1st.  According to second-year defender Maya Mills, the best way to prepare for such a strong opponent is to watch the film, know the strategy and stay dialed in on the final goal.  

“It feels good walking off the field after our performance,” second-year forward Lexi Fraley said.

In the 49th minute, a foul was called on the Falcons at the top of the box, leaving second-year goalkeeper Bethany Moser to take the kick. She passed it wide to fifth-year center back Lexy Smith who launched the ball behind the Falcon’s defensive line giving Fraley a one-on-one against Bowling Green goalkeeper Lili Berg.  Fraley put the ball in the bottom left of the goal as Berg ran out attempting to defend.

Ball State’s second goal was off of Mills’ corner kick, giving Smith an opportunity to head it into the center of the goal, giving Smith her first goal of the season.  

At the final whistle, all the Cardinals flew out onto the field in cheers of victory, with a final score of 2-0.

Ball State is on the road again to play Toldeo on Thursday, Oct. 6th at 7 p.m.

Contact Meghan Sawitzke with comments at meghan.sawitzke@bsu.edu or on Twitter @MSawitzke.