The Ball State Student Government votes in College Democrats and Republicans

<p>Sen. Dylan Teubert presents for the College Republicans in the Oct. 26, 2022, Ball State Student Government Association (SGA) meeting in L.A. Pittenger Student Center. The College Republicans were voted in to be an SGA-approved organization 28-2 with one abstention. <strong>Elijah Poe, DN</strong></p>

Sen. Dylan Teubert presents for the College Republicans in the Oct. 26, 2022, Ball State Student Government Association (SGA) meeting in L.A. Pittenger Student Center. The College Republicans were voted in to be an SGA-approved organization 28-2 with one abstention. Elijah Poe, DN

Oct. 26, the Ball State Student Government Association (SGA) not only voted in organizations, but they did so dressed in their Halloween costumes.

The most significant topic of the day came from the voting in for the College Republicans and the College Democrats at Ball State University. The votes made the organizations SGA-protected. 

Sen. Trent McKenzie brought to light his thoughts on how the organizations should be voted on, moreover, that they should be voted on separately. 

“I think it is important to recognize that the initial acceptance of them as an organization, they were a package deal when they were brought in for their trial period,” McKenzie said. “I think because it’s been two years, both organizations have done different things in Senate [and] done different things across the university over these two years. We should evaluate them independently for their merits on staying in student government.”

This decision was voted in 19-11. 

Sen. Katrina Leming presented on the College Democrats with goals of working with other organizations. 

“[The] Dems work in the community is highly representative of the organizations strive to better Ball State and those surrounding it, which is the shared purpose and goal of all of us in Senate,” Leming said. “Ball State Dems is an organization that represents a plethora of ideas, mindsets, and passions, all of which deserve to be represented in [the] senate.” 

The College Democrats were voted in 28-2.

Sen. Dylan Teubert presented on the College Republicans, his main topic was being able to work with the College Democrats. 

“I think it is important that everyone is represented equally, so I think if you are either a Democrat or Republican I think it is important that you have a voice in SGA and that SGA represents those people around campus,” Teubert said.

The College Republicans were voted in 24-6 with one abstention. 

Sen. Cody York presented for the National Association of College and University Resident Halls (NACURH). 

“Our mission for NACURH: we try to empower, motivate and equip resident hall leaders by providing them with skills and resources in order for them to excel and positively impact their campus communities,” York said. “It is very similar to what we do here but from more of a resident hall point of view. They work very much with [Resident Hall Association] RHA and other facilities and organizations like that.”

Ball State is hosting the NACURH conference, which is its first in-person conference since 2019, and Ball State’s third time hosting the event. The event brings 1,500 people to Ball State and will be held May 19-23, 2023, and is held more on the northern side of campus. 

The At-Large Caucus reported they are looking to expand their caucus with new members and are planning to do another survey event before Thanksgiving. 

The Academic Affairs Committee talked about a “Hit the Books Bash” that would be a week before Fall 2022 semester finals and provide resources and raffles for students who are studying for finals. 

The Student Services Committee reported they plan to help in a sex education event at the Multicultural Center Nov. 16 from 6-8 p.m.

Contact Elijah Poe with comments at elijah.poe@bsu.edu or on Twitter @ElijahPoe4.