As announced August 8, 2022, Kira Zick and Kim Kowalski have been selected as Muncie Community Schools’ (MCS) primary and secondary Teachers of the Year, respectively, for the 2021-22 school year. The two recipients were honored at Muncie Central High School during an employee gathering.
Zick is a third and fourth grade teacher in the Dual Language Immersion program at West View Elementary, one of MCS' six elementary schools. She received the honor based on the achievements of her students, her classroom management, her dedication to professional development, etc.
Kowalski is a Master Teacher at Southside Middle School where she assists other teachers with their lessons and classroom management, leads staff meetings, professional development content and Southside's ILearn testing process.
Zick and Kowalski have additionally earned plaques and a $1,000 salary increase for this honor, in addition to the $1,000 increases in salary they received for being their schools’ respective teachers of the year. MCS' other honorees are as follows:
· Heidi Keever: Grissom Elementary
· Leslie Foster: Longfellow Elementary
· Sarah Stone: North View Elementary
· Denise Gawrys: South View Elementary
· Evan Shroyer: East Washington Academy
· Debbie Mizelle: Northside Middle School
· Jen Jensen: Muncie Central High School
· Jeremy Penrod: Muncie Area Career Center
August 9, 2022 marks the first day of school for MCS students.