Ball State Baseball outfielder and member of the All-MAC First Team Zach Cole selected in 2022 MLB Draft

Junior outfeilder Zach Cole smiles while running home after senior teammate Justin Conant hit a home run during the bottom of the seventh inning in the second game of Ball State's doubleheader against Eastern Michigan Mar. 14 at First Merchants Ballpark Complex. Conant's home was the final score of the game for the Cardinals, advancing their lead to 11-7 over Eastern Michigan. Eli Houser, DN

July 18, 2022, just a couple of hours after teammate and left-handed pitcher Tyler Schweitzer was selected in the fifth round of the 2022 Major League Baseball (MLB) Draft by the Chicago White Sox, Ball State Baseball outfielder Zach Cole has been selected in the 10th round (313th pick) of the 2022 MLB Draft by the Houston Astros.

Cole was selected to the All-Mid-American Conference (MAC) First Team in 2022 after hitting for a .361 batting average, collecting 66 total hits, 13 home runs, 47 runs batted in (RBI), reaching base .449 percent of the time (.449) and hitting a .727 slugging percentage. Cole helped lead the Cardinals to a 2022 Regular Season MAC Championship and came within one win of winning the 2022 MAC Championship Tournament, which would have sent Ball State to the NCAA Regionals.

Cole is set to join former Ball State right-handed pitcher Chayce McDermott, who was drafted in round 4C (pick 132) of the 2021 MLB Draft, in the Astros' organization.

Cole, along with Schweitzer, may be set to be in a more in-depth accompanying piece in the coming days.

Contact Kyle Smedley with comments via email at kyle.smedley@bsu.edu or on Twitter @smedley1932.