Captain Barrington Irving set to visit Camp Adventure June 27

A Camp Adventure counselor interacting with camp attendees. Camp Adventure is a no-cost four-day day camp for Muncie area third graders. Ball State University, photo courtesy

Captain Barrington Irving and the Flying Classroom team will be visiting Summer Learning Fun at Camp Adventure (SLFCA) to spend the day with the campers who have been participating in his Flying Classroom’s virtual learning program this summer.

He will be landing at the Delaware County Airport and, as they have been communicating with him virtually to this point, the Ball State Teachers College has funded a bus to take students from the camp to the airport to surprise Captain Irving. Provost Dr. Susana Rivera-Mills and assistant deans from Teachers College will also be there to greet Captain Irving.

Summer Learning Fun at Camp Adventure is a no-cost four-week Muncie day camp taught by Ball State Elementary Education majors for rising third graders within Muncie Community Schools, the Inspire Academy and Burris Laboratory School. 

Ball State Teacher Education candidates spend the month of May on-campus training to become culturally responsive and inquiry-based teachers. They create cross-curricular science lesson plans applying the 5E Learning Model and implement these lesson plans in class with campers during the four weeks at Camp Adventure. Children receive Indiana standards-based instruction in science, literacy, and math, as well as activities focused on social-emotional learning and relationship building. Additionally, children participate in archery, low ropes courses, fishing, wagon rides, nature hikes, and cardiovascular activities.

Captain Irving is the Guinness World Record holder for being the youngest person and first Black pilot to fly solo around the world at age 23. Captain Irving is the founder of the Flying Classroom curriculum, which allows students to experience the world of STEM+ based on expeditions conducted around the world.

Captain Irving is scheduled to land at the Delaware County Airport between 11-11:30 a.m. June 27. He is expected to conduct a tour of the Flying Classroom plane before heading to Camp Adventure to interact with the camp attendees.