Delaware County Regional and Sectional Roundup: May 24

Yorktown High School Softball senior pitcher Alanah Jones fires a pitch in the Tigers first round sectional win over Hamilton Heights at Delta High School May 24, 2022. Jones allowed no hits in the victory. (Kyle Smedley/DN)

It is state tournament time for high school sports. With a packed schedule, check out the roundup from last night's matchups and events.

Girl's Track & Field Regionals

Girls from almost every school in Delaware County made the Ben Davis track & field regionals May 24. Here is a report of results from events they scored points in:

In the 1600 Meter Run, Delta sophomore Nicki Southerland finished first with a time of 4:48.72, earning 10 points. Daleville sophomore Faith Norris finished sixth with a time of 5:31.09, earning three points.

In the 3200 Meter Run, Southerland again finished in first with a time of 10:23.96, earning 10 points. Delta senior Makayla Robles finished sixth with a time of 11:54.78, earning three points.

In the High Jump, Wapahani junior Amya Carr finished second with a height of 5-01, earning eight points. Yorktown senior Paige Taylor finished fifth with a height of five feet, earning four points and Delta junior Mabrey Stebbins finished tied for sixth with a height of five feet, earning two and a half points.

In the 4X800 Meter Relay, Delta's Robles, along with freshman Christina Thorpe, junior Olivia Bohanon and junior Polly East finished seventh with a time of 10:35.56, earning two points.

In the Long Jump, Delta junior Kendra Keesling finished fifth with a distance of 16(feet)-08(inches), earning four points. Muncie Central junior Ariel Newman finished seventh with a distance of 16-01.50, earning two points.

In Shot Put, Yorktown junior Gretchen Moore finished sixth with a distance of 38-03, earning three points.

In Pole Vault, Muncie Burris junior Missy Riegle finished tied for fifth with a height of 9-06, earning three and a half points.

Of the 30 schools involved, Delta finished ninth with a combined score of 31.50, Wapahani finished tied for 19th with a combined score of eight, Yorktown finished tied for 22nd with a combined score of seven, Muncie Burris finished 26th with a combined score of 3.50, Daleville finished tied for 27th with a combined score of three, and Muncie Central finished 29th with a combined score of two.

According to IHSAA.org.: 1st, 2nd and 3rd place regional winners in all individual events and relays plus any individual or relay team meeting the 3 Participant Standard in the regional finals of their event. An individual or relay team shall not advance to the state finals from the regional finals unless the time is recorded by fully automatic timing (FAT). If there are less than 3 in any event meeting the 3 Participant Standard, the next best regional finishers shall be added to bring the total number of entrants to 27 in each event.

Delta Eagles V. Jay County Patriots (Girl's Tennis Regionals)

Delta girl's tennis (17-4) advanced to the Marion Regional Finals with a 5-0 victory over Jay County May 24.

In their win over the Patriots, sophomore Gabby Knight was first court done with a 6-0, 6-0 win at No. 2 singles. Then, the No. 2 doubles team of senior Madelyn Haley and junior Iva Witter and the No. 1 singles player, senior Gwen Clark, wrapped up their matches simultaneously for the Eagles, each winning 6-0, 6-0

Delta freshman Brylee Beckley won 6-2, 6-0 at No. 3 singles

The closest match came at No. 1 doubles where Delta senior Maggie Hunt and junior Janet Wegener entered with a 21-2 record while Jay County had lost only once at that position. Hunt and Wegener won 6-3, 6-4.

The 20th-ranked Eagles face the 29th-ranked Alexandria Tigers (19-1) in the finals at 5 p.m. May 25. Alexandria’s only loss this season came at the hands of Delta on April 21.

Yorktown Tigers V. Hamilton Heights Huskies (Softball sectional first round)

In the first game of Sectional 24 in the Indiana High School Athletic Association (IHSAA) Class 3A Softball State Tournament, Yorktown (22-3) defeated Hamilton Heights (9-15) with a dominant defensive performance, as the No. 3 team in 3A according to the coaches poll stays hot.

Senior pitcher Alanah Jones threw a no-hitter for the Tigers, striking out 12 batters, while junior Lizzy Willis drove in a run off an error and freshman Clair Hazen landed a RBI to secure a place in the sectional semifinals.

Yorktown will face the Delta Eagles (10-14) May 26 at 5 p.m at Delta High School.

Cowan Blackhawks V. Wes-Del Warriors (Softball sectional semifinal)

Cowan Softball head coach Curtis Bynum takes in the action from third base during the Blackhawks first round sectional contest against Liberty Christian, May 23, 2022 in Daleville, Indiana. Cowan defeated the Lions 9-0. (Kyle Smedley/DN)

The IHSAA Class 1A Sectional 55 semifinal game one was at 4:30 p.m. in Daleville, Indiana, May 24 between the Warriors (16-10) and Blackhawks (14-8). Runs were flowing between both sides in the seven-inning matchup with Cowan coming out on top.

Senior Lauren Smith stood out at the plate for the Blackhawks, going 3-3 with three hits and three RBIs while junior Aryonna Bynum, junior Josie Byrd and sophomore Cheyenne Carter averaged .500 and accounted for five hits and three runs all together.

Senior Alleigh Swift hit 2-2 with two RBI in the Warriors loss. Cowan advances to the sectional championship May 26 at 5:30 p.m. where they will face Tri-Central (3-12-1).

Daleville Broncos V. Tri-Central Trojans (Softball sectional semifinal)

The night after the Broncos (6-13) won their first sectional game in walk-off fashion, 8-7 in eight innings, Daleville couldn't get the job done two nights in a row. Although they have been underdogs all season, the Trojans ended their season in dominant fashion, defeating Daleville 21-5.

The first three innings played host to a close game, however, Tri-Central scored 12 runs in the fourth inning and never looked back. Stats have not yet been provided for the contest.

The Trojans face Cowan in the Sectional 55 championship May 26 at Daleville High School, 5:30 p.m.

Muncie Central Bearcats V. Mt. Vernon Marauders (Softball sectional semifinal)

Muncie Central (2-10) drew a bye in the first round of their softball sectional, however, their stay in Class 4A sectional nine was shortlived, as the Marauders (13-8) defeated them 18-1 to advance to the championship at Pendelton Heights High School May 25 at 6 p.m.

According to a game recap on a local website, Muncie Central only had 10 available players on a team that fields nine. Stats are not available for this game on maxpreps, therefore, none will be provided for the Bearcats.

Wapahani Raiders V. Monroe Central Golden Bears (Softball sectional first round)

The Raiders (15-11) defeated the Golden Bears (5-21) 15-2 May 24 in their first round matchup in sectional 40 hosted at Lapel High School. Wapahani goes on to face the Frankton Eagles in a semifinal contest May 25 at 7:30 p.m.

Stats have not been provided for this game via Maxpreps.