Local camps available for summer 2022

<p>Camp Kesem was founded in Stanford University in 2000 and has since expanded into over 100 chapters. Ball State's chapter has grown into 52 campers this past summer since its founding in 2015. <strong>Camp Kesem, Photo Provided</strong></p>

Camp Kesem was founded in Stanford University in 2000 and has since expanded into over 100 chapters. Ball State's chapter has grown into 52 campers this past summer since its founding in 2015. Camp Kesem, Photo Provided

With summer on the horizon for K-12 students, it may be time for some parents to gather options for what their children can/will do once the school year ends. For many, the answer comes in the form of summer camp.

Some parents may hold summer camps in a special place in their hearts, seeing the lessons, activities and interactions one has at camp as an invaluable experience. On a different note, summer camp gives parents the chance to encourage their children to be active or provide an opportunity for them to take a break from the stress of childcare. 

To create those cherished memories, it’s important to pick a camp children will enjoy. Here are four different camps around Indiana, and more specifically the Muncie area, to consider this summer

1. YMCA Summer Camp

The YMCA is probably the most well-known summer camp destination, with a history of various summer camps with wide accessibility. Open to children ages 5-12, the YMCA offers a wide variety of activities throughout the summer, including their day camp.

There are locations at both Westview and Grissom Elementary Schools, with both locations starting May 31. The camp at Grissom runs until July 9 and the camp at Westview runs until July 29, both operating on a weekly basis.

For one-to-three days, the camp is $78 for YMCA members and $108 for non-members, whereas, for four-to-five days, the camp is $114 for members and $134 for non-members.

For additional information, visit: https://www.muncieymca.org/programs/camps/ 

2.  YMCA Camp Crosley

For those who enjoyed YMCA camp in the past or are looking for a summer retreat, signing up for a week at Camp Crosley is something to consider. The camp is located on Lake Tippecanoe, around two hours northeast of Muncie.

To ensure safety and security, overnight campers stay on-site with other children within one year of their age. Campers can also request one friend as a cabin mate.

Camp runs from June 5 to August 6, in weekly sessions. Each session is six days and five nights, with the fifth session being an exception, running for four days from July 5-9 at a reduced price. Aside from the fifth session, each week is $725.

Camp Crosley shines in its activities, a variety of which being on the banks of Lake Tippecanoe, including tubing, sailing, kayaking and more. As for activities on land, the camp offers sports, arts, crafts and plenty of others.

YMCA, Photo Provided

3. Muncie Sports Camp

Ran by the Muncie Sports Commission, this summer sports camp aims at having fun through learning about a variety of different sports, hosted at a variety of locations around the city — mostly in the park system.

For those not looking for a full camp experience, this camp may be more suitable. It runs one day a week — weekday to be determined — and runs from 9 a.m.-12 p.m. The camp is open to children in fourth through eighth grade.

Lunch is provided, and there are still many details that are to be determined. For contact information, email jon@munciesports.com or call 765-287-5951. For additional information about the camp itself, visit: https://munciesports.com/summer/ 

4. DesignWorks Academy 2022

For high schoolers who may be interested in architecture or urban planning, the DesignWorks Academy at Ball State could be a great opportunity to learn from current students and professors.

Participants will learn the basic skills of structural and environmental design, and will test their problem-solving skills. They will learn in a variety of locations, on-campus or in-studio.

The camp is open to high school students of any year or background, and runs from July 10-22 at a price of $1,500. The price includes housing accommodations in the Ball State residence halls, meals, supplies and transportation.

Registration and payment are open and accessible on Ball State’s website at: https://www.bsu.edu/academics/collegesanddepartments/cap/workshops/designworks 

Comments or concerns should be sent via email to editor@bsudailynews.com