Current events within Ball State University and the Muncie community

<p>Finished in 1937, the Beneficence statue or “Benny” was the last piece of work commissioned from sculptor Daniel Chester French. Isaac Miller, the video media intern at the Ball State Foundation, was able to capture Beneficence during sunset in February 2021. <strong>Isaac F. Miller, Contributor, DN File</strong></p>

Finished in 1937, the Beneficence statue or “Benny” was the last piece of work commissioned from sculptor Daniel Chester French. Isaac Miller, the video media intern at the Ball State Foundation, was able to capture Beneficence during sunset in February 2021. Isaac F. Miller, Contributor, DN File

Muncie Community Schools receives grant 

As reported May 17, Muncie Community Schools (MCS) received an $8 million grant from the Indiana Department of Education, titled the Next Generation School Improvement Grant in order to help Grissom, Longfellow and South View elementary schools grow. 

According to a release on MCS’ website, “MCS is one of just eight districts in the state to receive the Next Generation grant, topping the list of amount of funds awarded. MCS will receive $8,058,000 – $558,000 earmarked for planning next school year and $7.5 million for implementation from 2023-2026.” 

Also according to the release, MCS plans to use the money from this grant to create an Education Transformation Team (ETT) and use other resources to improve student performance in each school.

“While we’ve made strides in different areas in all these schools recently, we still have a long way to go,” MCS Director of Public Education and CEO Lee Ann Kwiatkowski said. “With this generous grant, we will be able to obtain outside expertise with innovative educational approaches to help students reach their potential while also accommodating their individual circumstances.”

For more information, visit: https://www.muncie.k12.in.us/about-us/news/n/~board/news-releases/post/mcs-receives-8-million-school-improvement-grant 

Muncie Comic Con

May 21, the first-ever (aspiring to be annual) Muncie Comic Con comes to the Delaware County Fairgrounds. The event is scheduled to take place from 10 a.m.- 4:30 p.m. 

There will be a variety of guests, vendors, exhibitors and more (including a cosplay contest). Some featured guests include, but are not limited to, New York Times Bestseller Timothy Zahn, Christina Blanch, author of comic books Tales from the Crypt and Good Boy, as well as the owner of Aw Yeah Comics in Muncie, and Ethan Sacks, author of Star Wars comic books and Old Man Hawkeye, among others.

Those interested can find tickets or even apply to be an exhibitor at the event’s website, where additional information can also be found: https://www.munciecomiccon.com/.

Final episode of Cardinal Compass airs May 20

Cardinal Compass is a monthly program operated by Ball State PBS, and its final episode of the 2021-22 academic year airs May 20 at 6:30 p.m. This program can be found on Ball State PBS, Ball State PBS’s YouTube channel and Indiana Public Radio. 

This is a 30-minute program and May 20’s episode is titled ‘A Look Back at a Big Year’. It will be hosted by Ball State University President Geoffrey S. Mearns. 

The episode is set to feature conversations on inclusive excellence on Ball State campus, Ball State’s partnership with the YMCA and how that affects the community, Ball State’s contribution to the Muncie community through immersive learning programs and a general reflection of the past academic year. The episode, and all episodes of Cardinal Compass, are produced by BSU students from the college of Communication, Information, and Media. 

For more information, visit: https://ballstatepbs.org/