Plans for a new performing arts center in the Village

How a new performing arts center could bring in around 35,000 guests to campus each year

MUNCIE, Ind.--- Ball State University announced a revitalization plan for the Village, but one site may prove to be an anchor for the commercial area.

The revitalization plan involves five new sites being added to the Village. The university expects to add a performing arts center, hotel, dining and retail services.

The performing arts center; however, is known as a catalyst for growth in the Village.

According to the Ball State press release, the university will be investing approximately $100 million in private investment.

Seth Beckman, Dean of the College of Fine Arts, believes that the new performing arts center will be a transformational opportunity in making sure that students have the facilities they need and deserve.

Additionally, the performing arts center will be close in proximity to campus.

“We are very excited about it being in the Village. I mean it’s very close to where we are on campus. It expands from our perspective, that connectivity, between on and off campus,” Beckman said.

Haley Lajune, a Ball State music education major, said having a place to perform outside of Emens Auditorium will be nice because it is hard to find other places.

Beckman said that the theatre and dance department at Ball State has doubled in size since 1996. Students are now spread out between eight different buildings.

“I think other educators will be really glad that students have another place to perform and express themselves,” Lajune said.

According to the press release, construction is scheduled for 2024. The university expects the development agreement will be finished by the end of this year.

Contact Katherine Sehgal with comments at klsehgal@bsu.edu.