Senate confirms Ketanji Brown Jackson to Supreme Court

US President Joe Biden and Judge Ketanji Brown Jackson watch the Senate vote on her nomination to be an associate justice on the US Supreme Court, from the Roosevelt Room of the White House in Washington, DC on April 7, 2022. (Mandel Ngan/AFP via Getty Images/TNS)

The Senate confirmed Ketanji Brown Jackson to the Supreme Court Thursday with a 53-47 vote. This vote makes Jackson the first Black female justice in the court's history, in an effort by President Joe Biden to diversify the institution.

From 2013-21, Jackson served as the judge for the U.S. District Court for the District of Columbia, after which she was elevated to the U.S. Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit. After former Justice Stephen Breyer retired from the Supreme Court in January, Biden nominated Jackson to fill the vacant position. During the 2020 presidential election, Biden pledged to appoint a Black woman to the court should any vacancy occur.

"Even in the darkest times, there are bright lights," Senate Majority Leader Chuck Schumer, D-N.Y., said. "Today is one of the brightest lights."

However, Republicans in the Senate criticized the nomination, arguing Jackson was too far left and that she was too light on crime.

"When it came to one of the most consequential decisions a president can make, a lifetime appointment to our highest court, the Biden administration let the radicals run the show," Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell, R-Ky., said. "The far left got the reckless inflationary spending they wanted; the far left has gotten the insecure border they wanted; and today, the far left will get the Supreme Court justice they wanted."

Nevertheless, three Republican senators — Susan Collins of Maine, Lisa Murkowski of Alaska and Mitt Romney of Utah — joined all 50 Democrats in confirming Jackson's nomination.