A windy season opener

MUNCIE-- Muncie Delta started their season last night at Veterans Field against the Greenwood Woodmen.

The team is coming off a 6-18 season during the 2021 season. The eagles played in rough conditions over the offseason due to tough weather. 

Delta High School had spring break last week and before that they could not practice on their own field.

Due to the limited practice and the weather, the eagles struggled early in the game.

The game was very defensive and only three runs were scored for the next three innings. During the seventh inning the woodmen extended their lead against the eagles making the score 10-4.

With the game looking out of reach the eagles fought back at the bottom of the seventh inning scoring five runs. This would give the woodmen one point lead. However, they could not tie up the game making the final score 10-9 in a hard-fought season opener. 

"The fact that my guys stayed in there and hung in there and kept battling. . . I appreciate that," Head Coach Devin Wilburn said.

Muncie Delta will be traveling to Yorktown on Saturday for an early afternoon double header with the first game starting at 10 a.m.

Contact John Klemeyer with questions or comments at john.klemeyer@bsu.edu.