A historic start for Anderson lacrosse

Photo Courtesy of The Herald Bulletin

ANDERSON, Ind. (NewsLink) – Five years ago, Anderson University Lacrosse didn’t exist. Now, they sport a winning record for the first time ever and have now set a single game-scoring record.

Head Coach Jacob Ashton has been the man responsible for building the program from the ground up. Despite having to contend with pandemic cancellations in only their second season, the program is growing by leaps and bounds.

"Really, we're more of a year-three team in year four,” says Ashton. “So, really young. We're really well-rounded as a team this year. We've got a lot of freshmen contributing...a lot of sophomores contributing...so it's nice to finally see the results of our patience and hard work pay off."

That payoff has been historic. Prior to this season, the program’s record-high was three wins.

Through just six games, the Ravens have already have four, all having come in a consecutive win streak.

Someone must have told Anderson about the historic implications prior to the game as it came with a bang. The squad netted a program record 21 goals in their defeat of Franciscan University.

"It was probably the best game I've ever seen any of us shoot,” says sophomore midfielder Josh Rhodes. “That always makes it easy. But everyone was looking for the extra pass. Looking for the open guy instead of trying to get it themselves. Like most of our goals were assisted."

Ashton was also quick to deliver praise.

”The most wins we've ever had. To set some records in that game. And we set some individual records. And we had a goal-scoring record. 21 goals is exciting," he said.

Leaders of that play were Rhodes and junior midfielder Cole Whatney. The two combined for nine goals and five assists in the win over Franciscan.

"In the past we've only had two or three guys putting in the majority of our goals,” says Whatney. “And this year having five or six guys all be a scoring threat on offense I think that is really making it hard for teams to defend us."

The star duo hopes to lead the way for a program building itself into a winner.

Contact Philip Choroser at pechoroser@bsu.edu with questions or comments.