FIFA/UEFA react to Russian invasion of Ukraine

<p>Media stand outside FIFA headquarters in Zurich, Switzerland May 27, 2015. FIFA was founded in Paris, France in 1904 with the mission of establishing a governing body for football, futsal and beach football around the world. (DDP images/Sipa USA/TNS) </p>

Media stand outside FIFA headquarters in Zurich, Switzerland May 27, 2015. FIFA was founded in Paris, France in 1904 with the mission of establishing a governing body for football, futsal and beach football around the world. (DDP images/Sipa USA/TNS)

The Union of European Football Associations (UEFA) announced Feb. 28 that, in agreement with the Fédération Internationale de Football Association (FIFA), all Russian national and club teams are suspended from playing in both UEFA and FIFA competitions until further notice, according to a UEFA press release.

The decision comes after widespread criticism of an initial release from FIFA Feb. 27 banning competitions from being played in Russia and referring to Russia in a team name.

According to the initial FIFA press release, no international competition would be played in Russia with any “home” matches being played on neutral ground without spectators. In addition, the member association representing Russia will play under the name “Football Union of Russia (RFU)” and not “Russia,” and no flag or anthem of Russia will be used in matches where teams from the RFU participate.

The new suspension immediately denies the RFU from the 2022 FIFA Men’s World Cup and the 2022 UEFA Women’s Euros. In addition, Spartak Moscow will be removed from the UEFA Europa League last 16 – RB Leipzig, who was slated to play Spartak Moscow, has received a bye.

UEFA has also ended its relationship with Gazprom, the Russian state-owned energy company that sponsored the UEFA Champions League.

“Football [soccer] is fully united here and in full solidarity with all the people affected in Ukraine,” a joint statement from FIFA and UEFA said.