Tina Nguyen addresses sexual assault awareness, student enagement at Ball State SGA’s Presidential Debate

<p>Current Ball State Student Government Association (SGA) President Tina Nguyen speaks about her platforms at the SGA presidential debate in John J. Pruis Hall Feb.15. Nguyen is re-running as president with Monet Lindstrand running as her vice president. <strong>Hannah Amos, DN</strong></p><p></p>

Current Ball State Student Government Association (SGA) President Tina Nguyen speaks about her platforms at the SGA presidential debate in John J. Pruis Hall Feb.15. Nguyen is re-running as president with Monet Lindstrand running as her vice president. Hannah Amos, DN

Ball State’s Student Government Association (SGA) hosted its Presidential Debate at Pruis Hall Feb. 15.

Current SGA President Tina Nguyen is re-running for her position and is currently the only candidate on this year's ticket.

Nguyen discussed increasing student engagement in SGA meetings and events during the debate.

“We do realize right now we have a lack of senators in student government,” Nguyen said. “We have a piece of legislation that's going through that states that another committee will be formed to recruit multiple, diverse voices into the student government.”

Moderator Grayson Joslin questions Ball State Student Government Association (SGA) President Tina Nguyen at the SGA presidential debate in John J. Pruis Hall Feb.15. Nguyen's two platforms that she is focusing on are sexual assault prevention and improving Ball State's public transportation. Hannah Amos, DN.

She also mentioned actively engaging in residence halls to promote awareness of SGA.

“Forty percent of all Ball State students live in the residence halls, so making sure we communicate clearly is important,” Nguyen said.

Nguyen said SGA meetings are open to the public and encouraged students to attend.

“Our gallery is open to the public during our sessions, which is every Wednesday from 3:15 to 4:45,” she said. “We really do appreciate student engagement.”

Nguyen shares the same platforms as her chosen vice presidential candidate Monet Lindstrand: sexual assault awareness and improving Ball State’s transportation.

RELATED: Monet Lindstrand promotes student happiness and safety at SGA’s Vice Presidential debate.

While discussing sexual assault awareness, Nguyen mentioned the ‘Step in. Speak up.’ app, designed to provide students with contact information and resources they can refer to when facing various forms of sexual assault and abuse.

“Unfortunately [the app is] very underutilized, especially in the residence halls,” Nguyen said.

When discussing solutions to improving transportation on campus, Nguyen discussed Charlie’s Charter — a free mobile transportation service that’s available to students from 6 p.m. to 1:30 a.m. She proposed to better advertise the service and make it more appealing to students so they will use it more often,

After the debate, she discussed her reasons for choosing Monet Lindstrand as her vice presidential candidate.

“I saw a drive in [Lindstrand] and I know [she’s] going to do great things and I know no matter what problem [she faces], she’ll find a solution,” Nguyen said. 

Nguyen said her main reason for re-running was because she understood the job of president, and that she loves serving the Ball State student body.

Contact Richard Kann with comments at richard.kann@bsu.edu or on Twitter @RichardKann