Smedley: Professional Wrestling receives a bad rap

<p>A crowd of over 45,000 takes in the Royal Rumble 2022 at The Dome at America’s Center in St. Louis, MO. This was WWE’s most recent pay-per-view event. Kyle Smedley, DN</p>

A crowd of over 45,000 takes in the Royal Rumble 2022 at The Dome at America’s Center in St. Louis, MO. This was WWE’s most recent pay-per-view event. Kyle Smedley, DN

Kyle Smedley is a journalism and telecommunications major and writes for The Daily News. His views do not necessarily reflect those of the newspaper.

When people think of professional wrestling, they tend to throw out words like fake, choreographed and childish. I believe there are many issues with those words.

I am not saying professional wrestling is fully legitimate.

Professional wrestling is scripted, they don’t always hit each other with punches or kicks and the competitors in a match work together to create what the audience views. A lot of “good guys” and “bad guys” are friends behind the scenes.

If you think of your favorite TV series or movie, there is a strong possibility the characters and scenes are not real. Harry Potter isn’t real. Rue from Euphoria isn't real, and neither is anyone in Star Wars.

What’s the difference between professional wrestling and other forms of entertainment?

World Wrestling Entertainment (WWE) was founded in 1953, and entertainment is a part of the name.

All Elite Wrestling (AEW), Impact Wrestling, Game Changer Wrestling (GCW) and several other wrestling promotions stretch across the globe. An entire industry should not be defined by a single company. We don't identify the entire movie industry as Disney.

I don’t take offense to those who don’t like professional wrestling, but I disagree with completely dismissing the industry outright. Give it a try and you might like it. My firm belief is professional wrestling is the greatest live experience in sports.

Watching the cast of characters showcase their acting skills is great, but also witnessing their incredible prowess and ability to interact with the audience is a treat. Sports fans should respect the great athleticism of professional wrestlers and their sporting backgrounds.

I attended the WWE's most recent event, the Royal Rumble, Jan. 29 in St. Louis, MO. It was one of the most fun experiences of my life.

The event was for me because I’m a wrestling geek. My girlfriend isn’t nearly into the business as much as I am, but halfway through the event, she was jumping up and down, screaming and asking when the next event was — she wanted to watch it with me.

If you can’t enjoy professional wrestling inside the ring, there’s nothing better than listening to the roar of a crowd, which wrestling consistently delivers. The wrestlers are crowd performers. They get the attendance involved with chants, cheers and boos. They have the freedom to act however they want (if it’s safe and legal).

Professional wrestling involves the fans as a part of their storylines, meaning fans feel important for watching the show. As time passes, viewers become more engaged with storylines and the characters associated with them.

I encourage those who have never watched professional wrestling and dismiss it to give it a chance. You may not love it, but it will hold your attention and provide entertainment. Wrestling serves as an escape from reality.

Contact Kyle Smedley on Twitter @smedley1932 or via email at kyle.smedley@bsu.edu.