Ongay, Provan help Ball State sweep 3-meter dive at IUPUI

Ball State sophomore Joey Garberick begins his dive during the 200 yard medley event Oct. 28 in Lewellen Aquatic Center. The relay team from Ball State finished second in the event with a time of 133.59. Eli Houser, DN

Ball State diving was able to defeat IUPUI in both the men’s and women’s 3-meter dive in a friendly at the IUPUI Natatorium. The Jaguars took both the men’s and women’s one-meter dive to tie with the Cardinals.

“Today felt really good,” Ball State diving coach Jacob Brehmer said. “We were doing some new dives with our other divers, a lot of them got a season-best, which was sweet. It was a good day.”

The day started off with the women’s 1-meter dive, which IUPUI sophomore Sydney Smith won. Ball State freshman Ashleigh Provan took second, followed by teammates sophomore Maddie Gleave in third and junior Madison Gatzlaff in fourth.

In the men’s 3-meter, Ball State senior Hunter Ongay took the top spot, beating IUPUI freshman Adam Schmehl by less than two points. Sophomore Isaac Hunter took fourth.

In the women’s portion of the 3-meter, Ashleigh Provan won with a score of 293.78, which is an NCAA Zone Diving Qualifying Mark, meaning she will compete in an NCAA postseason diving tournament. 

“She [Provan] was really excited,” Brehmer said. “In fact, I think her teammates were more excited than she was. They know how important a Zone Cut is. She’s been amazing this year.”

The meet finished with the men’s 1-meter, where IUPUI freshman Alexander Scott took the top place. Ongay took third, just six points behind Scott.

While the Zone Cuts are good, Brehmer says that that’s not the mark of success.

“I usually don’t have the goal of, ‘We’ve got to get a Zone Cut, or the season’s not good,’” Brehmer said. “I usually want to have them ready for the MAC Championship and score as many points for the team as possible. And if a Zone Cut happens, that’s great. If not, it’s still ok, it’s not a season-defining thing.”

The women’s dive team will compete alongside the women’s swim team Saturday, Jan 22 at 3 p.m. against Eastern Michigan.

Contact Nate Grubb with comments at nathaniel.grubb@bsu.edu or on Twitter @GrubbNate43