Clephane leads Cardinals to ‘high tempo’ win over Bulldogs

Ball State redshirt Junior Anna Clephane shoots a free-throw  on Nov. 3 at Worthen Arena. Clephane finished the night with 20 points.
Ball State redshirt Junior Anna Clephane shoots a free-throw on Nov. 3 at Worthen Arena. Clephane finished the night with 20 points.

Ball State Women’s Basketball (2-0) defeated Butler (0-3) 70-56 at Hinkle Fieldhouse Nov. 16 for its second win of the season.

The Cardinals were fueled behind 21 points from redshirt junior Anna Clephane. She also totaled four rebounds and three assists. Graduate student Chyna Latimer rounded out Ball State's double-figure scoring with 12 points. Ball State forced 26 turnovers and scored 20 points off turnovers. 

Head Coach Brady Sallee was satisifed with the Cardinals tempo from tipoff, and credited their preparation as the biggest factor to victory.

“It’s the way we practice everyday,” Sallee said. “When you can come out and look like you do in practice, that’s a good thing.” 

Latimer, freshman Ally Becki, freshman Marie Kiefer and junior Syndey Freeman each recorded two steals. Sallee thought the Cardinals wore down the Bulldogs defensively and ensured the game would be played in Ball State's way.

Ball State Women's Basketball head coach Brady Sallee walks the sideline on Nov. 3 at Worthen Arena. Sallee has been the head coach for 9 seasosn. Eli Houser, DN

“The thing we guarded against tonight was them being able to slow the ball down,” Sallee said. 

The Cardinals scored 43 of their 70 points in the second half, including six 3-pointers. Sallee thought Ball State's discipline against the Bulldogs defense was encouraging.

“We kind of kept turning them over and turning it into offense,” Sallee said. “I think there is a correlation between how many points we scored in the second half and how we took care of the ball.” 

Butler was led by redshirt freshman guard Kendall Wingler, who scored 17 points. She also collected five rebounds and recorded two assists.

Ball State returns to action Nov. 26 in the Van Chancellor Classic against Texas Tech (2-0). Tipoff is 5 p.m. Sallee said the Cardinals will have time to work on themselves over the next few days before preparing specifically for the Red Raiders.

“It’s going to be a great test for us on a neutral court and against great opponents all three days,” Sallee said. “We’re going to have our hard hats on down there.” 

Contact Kyle Smedley on Twitter @smedley1932 or via email at kyle.smedley@bsu.edu.