Rain on the way just in time for Thanksgiving

Photo provided by the NewsLink Indiana Weather Team

Tonight: Temperatures will fall to a low of 30 degrees by daybreak under mostly clear skies. Patchy frost will be possible, so if you are heading out for Thanksgiving Break tomorrow morning, be sure to give yourself a few extra minutes to defrost your car. Winds will be coming out of the south at 10 MPH, gusting up to 20 MPH.

Tomorrow: Winds will increase throughout the day on Wednesday as our next weather system approaches. It will be breezy, with winds out of the south southwest at 15-20 MPH, gusting up to 30 MPH at times. Although it will be breezy, it will be dry. If you have any travel plans or need to commute for Thanksgiving, tomorrow will be the day to do so. Wednesday will also be the warmest day of the week, with a high of 50 degrees. Clouds will increase throughout the day ahead of a cold front.

Thanksgiving: The Thanksgiving forecast, unfortunately, is less than ideal. Rain will move in beginning before sunrise, continuing until the afternoon. The heaviest rain will be concentrated in southern Indiana; a quarter of an inch of rain is forecast for much of the state. If you can, keep your Thanksgiving plans indoors. The winds will shift during the afternoon, leading to falling temperatures and a chance for lake effect snow showers around midnight. If you are heading out late in the day Thursday or early Friday morning to do some holiday shopping, bundle up and stay warm!

7-Day Forecast: The coldest day of the week comes on Friday, with high temperatures barely climbing past the freezing mark. Plenty of sunshine is in the forecast for the weekend, as temperatures rebound into the lower 40s. To finish out the last week of November, temperatures will be in the mid 40s with intervals of sun and clouds.

-----Chief Weather Forecaster Maddi Johnson

Follow us on Twitter @NLIWeather for breaking weather updates.

NewsLink Indiana is a proud Ambassador for the NOAA Weather-Ready Nation program.

For more information about the Weather-Ready Nation