3 takeaways from the MAC Women’s Cross Country Championship

<p>A pack of Ball State Cross Country runners stick together in the first kilometer of their meet Oct. 18, 2019, at the Muncie Elks Golf Club. The Cardinals won with runners finishing in the first six positions. <strong>Eric Pritchett, DN</strong></p>

A pack of Ball State Cross Country runners stick together in the first kilometer of their meet Oct. 18, 2019, at the Muncie Elks Golf Club. The Cardinals won with runners finishing in the first six positions. Eric Pritchett, DN

Ball State placed seventh out of 12 teams In the Mid-American Conference (MAC) Women’s Cross Country Championship.

The Cardinals compiled a score of 195, based on where the runners placed in the meet. The lower the score, the better. 

Here are three takeaways from the event:

Toledo’s dominance

In team rankings, Toledo ran away with the win, with a score of 32. The next closest team was Miami (Ohio) with 61. All seven runners for the Rockets finished in the top 22. Joy Chirchir finished first with a time of 20:23.2. Her teammate Semra Karaslan placed second with 20:36.2. Faith Linga and Lou Trois finished top 10. 

Elka Machan finishes 4th

Ball State finished seventh out of 12 teams with a score of 195, but that score was helped by Elka Machan. Machan finished with a time of 20:46.9, good enough for fourth overall. The next closest runner for the Cardinals finished 35th.

The rest of the standings

For the rest of the teams, Akron finished third with 92. Bowling Green State got fourth with 136, Ohio fifth with 155, Central Michigan sixth with 166, Ball State seventh with 195, Kent State eighth with 220, Eastern Michigan ninth with 225, Buffalo 10th with 243, Western Michigan 11th with 269 and Northern Illinois 12th with 282.

In individual results, Miami (Ohio) Carmen Riano placed third with 20:45.0. Akron’s top finisher was Beth Arentz, who placed sixth. Bowling Green State’s Katerina Shuble finished 10th, Central Michigan’s Emily Paupore finished 13th, Kent State’s Stephanie Ward finished 15th, Ohio’s Madelyn Bartolone finished 16th, Eastern Michigan’s Marta Moreno finished 21st, Buffalo’s Anya Schmitt finished 24th, Western Michigan’s Rebecca McNamee finished 40th and Northern Illinois’ Brooke Lytle finished 45th.

Contact Nate Grubb with comments at nathaniel.grubb@bsu.edu or on Twitter @GrubbNate43