Ball State ties for first time this season against Eastern Michigan 

The Mid-American Conference’s tagline this year is ‘MACtion’ and there was a lot of it on Thursday.

Ball State (2-4-1, 0-0-1 MAC) got its first tie of the season in its first MAC game, a 0-0 score against Eastern Michigan (1-4-2, 0-0-1 MAC). 

“It’s not the result we wanted.” head coach Josh Rife said. “It’s not a win, it’s not a loss, you’ve just got to take it. I thought we played well enough to deserve a result.”

Despite an extra 20 minutes added on to the first 90, neither team was able to get the ball in the back of the net.

Senior goalkeeper Alex DeRuvo got her first shutout of her career, getting two saves, as the Cardinal defense held the Eagles to just four shots.

Ball State added 13 shots, six of which were turned away by Eastern Michigan senior goalkeeper Chelsea Abbotts. 

“We need to be more decisive in those moments,” Rife said. “When we’re taking a shot, there needs to be a little more conviction. We have to be like, ‘Alright, I’m taking my touch and I’m taking this shot.’

Even though it wasn’t the result he wanted, Coach Rife liked the team’s effort.

“You walk away with a sour taste in your mouth, but, overall, when you look at the performance from start to finish, we played pretty well." Rife said.

Ball State will go on the road to face Central Michigan on Sunday, Sept. 26, at 1 p.m.

Contact Nate Grubb with comments at nathaniel.grubb@bsu.edu or on Twitter @GrubbNate43