Ball State and Muncie community raise awareness for sexual assault

MUNCIE, Ind. (NewsLink) -- This April marks the official 20th anniversary of Sexual Assault Awareness Month. The month is dedicated to spreading awareness and prevention of sexual assault, harassment, and abuse.

Muncie Missions women's transitional home Beauty for Ashes shelter manager Kristi Thornburg said awareness efforts can go a long way. 

“I think that knowledge is power. The more that we can know about sexual assault, the more that we can prevent it,” said Thornburg.

Beauty for Ashes houses five women at a time, providing two family units and three single units. Thornburg said many of the women staying at the transitional home have been a victim of sexual assault. 

While Beauty for Ashes is encouraging donations efforts to further raise sexual assault awareness, Ball State is hosting various events throughout the month of April to raise advocacy. 

The Office of Victim Services as well as Alpha Chi Omega sorority are hosting various events throughout the month of April to raise advocacy.

The two are looking to raise awareness with events such as Denim Day, Take Back the Night and a friendly yard decorating contest involving other student organizations.

Alpha Chi Omega’s Vice President of Philanthropy Jenna Pyle said that based on statistics, it’s important to get the Ball State community involved. 

“The number one demographic of sexual assault is college women,” said Pyle.

For more information on the dates of the university's awareness efforts, you can visit the Office of Victim Services website.