Cooler, wetter weather pattern ahead

Photo Provided by the NewsLink Indiana Weather Team

With another dry and sunny day in the books, we add another day to our March dry stretch. Thus far, we have seen 10 consecutive days with no precipitation, which is the third longest March dry stretch in Muncie history! This stretch looks to come to an end soon as rain chances enter the forecast for Thursday.

Tonight: We saw gusty southwest winds today, with gusts up to 40mph, which helped boost our temperatures into the lower 70s. Gusty southwest winds continue tonight, meaning a very mild night is in store, with temperatures only dropping into the upper 50s for lows. We will see increasing cloud cover throughout the evening and overnight hours, with cloudy skies expected by daybreak. As our next weather system moves in, winds gusts will continue to be breezy, between 35-40 mph overnight into the early morning hours on Thursday.

Tomorrow: We are expecting to see rain tomorrow, which will put an end to the dry stretch. Rain moves into our northern counties in the morning. Scattered showers, with some isolated pockets of heavier rain, will move from west to east around lunchtime. We will see a break in the rain during the afternoon. More widespread rain is expected around the time of the Thursday evening commute, with heavier pockets of rain expected, especially across the lower half of the viewing area. Rain totals will generally be around a half inch, with higher amounts possible to the south. Winds stay breezy out of the southwest during the day at 15-20mph, before shifting to the northwest and calming by the evening hours. Temperatures remain steady in the lower 60s all day.

7-day Forecast: Thursday isn't the only day you'll need an umbrella! We will see drying conditions to start the weekend, before becoming stuck in a cooler, wetter weather pattern. Coming up next week, expect multiple rain chances to start the week as temperatures become much more seasonable. With lows below freezing next week, chances for a rain/snow mix in the mornings are also possible.

--Assistant Chief Weather Forecaster Maddi Johnson

Follow us on Twitter @NLIWeather for breaking weather updates.

NewsLink Indiana is a proud Ambassador for the NOAA Weather-Ready Nation program. 

For more information about the Weather-Ready Nation program please click HERE