Hansen: Why Colts fans shouldn’t worry after loss to Cleveland Browns

<p>Former Ball State offensive lineman, now Indianapolis Colts guard, Danny Pinter looks up during the Colts’ first game of the 2020 NFL season against the Jacksonville Jaguars Sept. 13, 2020, at Lucas Oil Stadium in Indianapolis. Pinter was selected in the fifth round of the 2020 NFL Draft by the Colts and made the team’s 53-man roster. <strong>Indianapolis Colts, Photo Provided</strong></p>

Former Ball State offensive lineman, now Indianapolis Colts guard, Danny Pinter looks up during the Colts’ first game of the 2020 NFL season against the Jacksonville Jaguars Sept. 13, 2020, at Lucas Oil Stadium in Indianapolis. Pinter was selected in the fifth round of the 2020 NFL Draft by the Colts and made the team’s 53-man roster. Indianapolis Colts, Photo Provided

Ian Hansen is a sophomore news journalism major. His views do not necessarily reflect those of the newspaper. Write to Ian at imhansen@bsu.edu

The Colts are 3-2. 

That alone should be a reason why fans of the Indianapolis Colts shouldn’t worry about their team, despite an ugly, 32-23 loss to the Cleveland Browns (4-1). 

Granted, Indianapolis won games against the likes of the New York Jets (0-5) and Minnesota Vikings (1-4), they beat a talented Chicago Bears (4-1) team on the road and have a top-three defense in the league.

For reference on just how good this Colts defense is, they rank first in interceptions with nine, third in points allowed, first in touchdowns allowed, first in rushing touchdowns allowed, third in rushing yards allowed and second in total yards allowed. 

Those stats alone should be a reason not to worry about a couple of blunders against the Jacksonville Jaguars and Cleveland Browns. 

The area of concern stems from the offense. Not just the offense as a whole, but the quarterback position. Yes, future hall of fame quarterback Philip Rivers, who Indianapolis signed to a one-year, $25 million contract. The same guy who has killed the Colts countless of times in the playoffs when he was with the San Diego Chargers. The same guy who has gone to a Pro Bowl eight times.

In games which the Colts have won this season, Rivers did what he was brought to the team for, and that is to manage the game. He wasn’t brought in to be a Patrick Mahomes or Lamar Jackson. His role is to put the Colts in a position to win. 

In the two games which the Colts lost, his performances were questionable and reminiscent of the same issues the Colts faced last season with backup quarterback Jacoby Brissett. 

In the game against the Browns, Rivers threw for no touchdowns and two interceptions, one of which was taken back for a touchdown ultimately throwing away any chance the Colts had at a comeback.

The difference between Rivers and Brissett is age. This could be a double-edged sword to some, but five games in, we still have yet to see who Rivers truly is. He has proven to be a capable leader who can will his team to victory despite making some airhead decisions. For those calling on Brissett to start, what has he proven?

Rivers is the Achilles heel to the Indianapolis Colts and the same guy who beat those old Peyton Manning teams in the playoffs. He may be old, but he has still shown signs of being a capable winner. 

The Colts are still 3-2, have an elite defense and a hall of fame quarterback behind a great offensive line. That alone should still give fans hope, despite an ugly loss.

Contact Ian Hansen with comments at imhansen@bsu.edu or on Twitter @ianh_2.