COVID-19 updates: What you need to know about the virus outbreak

<p>In response to the COVID-19 pandemic, since March 16, 2020, Ball State's in-person classes have moved to online instruction, and since March 24, several Ball State students have left campus residence halls. Since March 26, the United States has had the most number of confirmed positive cases of the virus. <strong>Jacob Musselman, DN Illustration</strong></p>

In response to the COVID-19 pandemic, since March 16, 2020, Ball State's in-person classes have moved to online instruction, and since March 24, several Ball State students have left campus residence halls. Since March 26, the United States has had the most number of confirmed positive cases of the virus. Jacob Musselman, DN Illustration

On Jan. 30, 2020, Ball State undertook its first measures in response to the COVID-19 coronavirus outbreak by suspending all work-related travel to China.

Following Indiana's first-ever confirmed illness linked to the virus outbreak, The Daily News has been covering the global pandemic as changes unfold in the Ball State and Muncie communities while also sharing international, national and statewide stories related to the pandemic.

The following is a compilation of all stories posted on the The Daily News website relevant to the COVID-19 outbreak.

This illustration, created at the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), reveals ultrastructural morphology exhibited by coronaviruses. A novel coronavirus, named Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome coronavirus 2 (SARS-CoV-2), was identified as the cause of an outbreak of respiratory illness first detected in Wuhan, China, in 2019. The illness caused by this virus has been named coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19). CDC, Photo Courtesy

Number of confirmed COVID-19 cases in Delaware County

As of late Sunday, the Delaware County Health Department (DCHD) has reported a total of three individuals within the county testing positive for SAR-CoV-2, the virus that causes COVID-19 infection.

Some facts about the COVID-19 coronavirus pandemic

The following is a list of facts about the COVID-19 pandemic based on information from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) and the World Health Organization (WHO).

Drew Shermeta, social studies teacher at Muncie Central High School, now gives his students instructions over Schoology. Photo Provided, Unsplash

Muncie Central High School staff reflects on experiences with COVID-19 learning

Drew Shermeta, a social studies teacher at Muncie Central High School (MCHS), said he is impressed the seniors have found time to balance work and school. 

Indiana Gov. Eric Holcomb announced all K-12 public schools in the state will be closed until May 1, 2020. All non-public schools have also been ordered to close. (AP Photo/Tom Davies) 

Indiana governor's executive order allows pharmacy students to apply for temporary license

Indiana Gov. Eric Holcomb signed an executive order Wednesday to allow pharmacy students who have completed their course work to apply for temporary licenses to fight the spread of COVID-19, according to a press release.

City of Milwaukee Election Commission workers process absentee ballots Tuesday, April 7, 2020 in downtown Milwaukee, Wis. Despite federal health recommendations, thousands of Wisconsin voters waited hours in long lines outside overcrowded polling stations on Tuesday so they could participate in a presidential primary election that tested the limits of electoral politics in the midst of a pandemic. (Mark Hoffman/Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel via AP)

Biden, liberal court candidate win chaotic Wisconsin vote

A liberal challenger on Monday ousted a conservative Wisconsin Supreme Court justice endorsed by President Donald Trump, overcoming a successful push by Republicans to forge ahead with last week’s election even as numerous other states postponed theirs due to the coronavirus pandemic.

Archbishop Timothy Dolan, right, delivers his homily over empty pews as he leads an Easter Mass at St. Patrick's Cathedral in New York, Sunday, April 12, 2020. Due to coronavirus concerns, no congregants were allowed to attend the Mass but it was broadcast live on a local TV station. AP Photo/Seth Wenig

Amid pandemic, Christians celebrate an Easter like no other

Christians around the world celebrated Easter Sunday isolated in their homes by the coronavirus while pastors preached the faith’s joyous news of Christ’s resurrection to empty pews. One Florida church drew a large turnout for a drive-in service in a parking lot.

Pope Francis spreads incense at the start of Easter Sunday Mass, inside an empty St. Peter's Basilica at the Vatican, Sunday, April 12, 2020. Pope Francis and Christians around the world marked a solitary Easter Sunday, forced to celebrate the most joyful day in the liturgical calendar amid the sorrowful reminders of the devastation wrought by the coronavirus pandemic. The new coronavirus causes mild or moderate symptoms for most people, but for some, especially older adults and people with existing health problems, it can cause more severe illness or death. Andreas Solaro/Pool via AP

Pope urges solidarity on an Easter of both joy, virus sorrow

Pope Francis called for solidarity the world over to confront the “epochal challenge” posed by the coronavirus pandemic, as Christians celebrated a solitary Easter Sunday, blending the joyful feast day with sorrow over the toll the virus has already taken.

IU Health seeks COVID-19 survivors to donate plasma for potential cure

Indiana University (IU) Health sent out a press release April 11 asking for patients that have recovered from COVID-19 to donate plasma to research a potential cure.

Pope Francis is flanked by Mons. Guido Marini, right, the Vatican master of liturgical ceremonies, as he leads the Via Crucis – or Way of the Cross – ceremony in St. Peter's Square empty of the faithful following Italy's ban on gatherings to contain coronavirus contagion, at the Vatican, Friday, April 10, 2020. (AP Photo/Alessandra Tarantino)

In a test of faith, Christians mark Good Friday in isolation

Christians commemorated Jesus’ crucifixion without the solemn church services or emotional processions of past years, marking Good Friday in a world locked down by the coronavirus pandemic.

Provost Susana Rivera-Mills speaks at the summer commencement ceremony July 20, 2019, at Worthen Arena. In an email addressed to Ball State's faculty, Rivera-Mills explained the majority of in-person classes will be moved to an online platform. Rohith Rao, DN

Ball State provost provides updates on credit/no credit option

In a campus-wide email Friday, Susana Rivera-Mills, Ball State's provost and executive vice president for academic affairs, provided updates on the university's extension of the availability of the credit/no credit option.

A student receives her doctoral hood at the summer commencement ceremony July 20, 2019, at Worthen Arena. Rohith Rao, DN

Ball State University Bookstore cancels cap and gown orders

Graduating students who placed orders for their caps and gowns to be collected at Ball State University Bookstore for the spring 2020 commencement will not receiving them amid COVID-19 concerns.

Zach Dougal, assistant clinical professor of athletic training, works with his athletic training students to wrap a person’s foot on a treatment table. Ball State University, Photo Provided

Ball State athletic training senior reflects on switching to telemedicine

For Spencer Tonner, the value of athletic trainers and athletic training shouldn’t be understated during times like these.

Susana Rivera-Mills, Ball State's Provost and executive vice president for academic affairs, reports to the Board of Trustees Feb. 8, 2019. Rivera-Mills began her job as Provost July 1, 2018. Scott Fleener, DN File

All Ball State summer classes moved online

In a campus wide email sent Wednesday, Susana Rivera-Mills, provost and executive vice president for academic affairs at Ball State, announced all in-person classes for the summer 2020 semester will transition to virtual teaching and learning.

In this Saturday, March 28, 2020 handout photo provided by Number 10 Downing Street, Britain's Prime Minister Boris Johnson chairs the morning Covid-19 Meeting remotely after self isolating after testing positive for the coronavirus, at 10 Downing Street, London. British Prime Minister Boris Johnson has been admitted to a hospital with the coronavirus. Johnson’s office says he is being admitted for tests because he still has symptoms 10 days after testing positive for the virus. (Andrew Parsons/10 Downing Street via AP, File)

British Prime Minister Boris Johnson moved to intensive care

British Prime Minister Boris Johnson was moved to the intensive care unit of a London hospital after his coronavirus symptoms worsened Monday, just a day after he was admitted for what were said to be routine tests. 

Ball State's Libraries Archives and Special Collections, Everyday Life in Middletown project and Muncie Public Library are asking community members to document life during the COVID-19 pandemic. These organizations will collect and preserve these materials to be published in an online community archive. Brooke Kemp, DN

Ball State, Muncie libraries to document everyday life during COVID-19 pandemic

In a collaborative effort, Ball State's Libraries Archives and Special Collections, Everyday Life in Middletown project, and Muncie Public Library are asking community members to document life during the COVID-19 pandemic, according to a Ball State press release.

In this March 24, 2020, file photo stacks of medical supplies are housed at the Jacob Javits Center that will become a temporary hospital in response to the COVID-19 outbreak in New York. A review of federal purchasing contracts by The Associated Press shows federal agencies waited until mid-March to begin placing bulk orders of N95 respirator masks, mechanical ventilators and other equipment needed by front-line health care workers. (AP Photo/John Minchillo, File)

U.S. ‘wasted’ months before preparing for virus pandemic

As the first alarms sounded in early January that an outbreak of a novel coronavirus in China might ignite a global pandemic, the Trump administration squandered nearly two months that could have been used to bolster the federal stockpile of critically needed medical supplies and equipment.

IU Health Ball Memorial, Red Cross host community blood drive to address supply needs

Steady supplies of blood donations to hospitals through blood drives is one of the critical needs disrupted due to stricter guidelines imposed amid the COVID-19 pandemic.

Students who gather in the David Letterman Media and Communications building this afternoon were given free mugs for writing thank you notes to donors as part of One Ball Sate Day April 9, 2019. The inaugural event involved on-campus events, online donations and contests to unlock funds for various causes at Ball State. John Lynch, DN

One Ball State Day to emphasize critical needs of students

Ball State is shifting emphasis of One Ball State Day, scheduled to take place April 7, to address the critical needs of its students, particularly as a result of the COVID-19 pandemic, according to a university press release.

Dr. Kristina Box, Indiana Health Commissioner, answers questions about COVID-19 infections and its impact on the state as Indiana Gov. Eric Holcomb listens during a briefing at the Statehouse in Indianapolis, Tuesday, March 24, 2020. Holcomb ordered state residents to remain in their homes except when they are at work or for permitted activities, such as taking care of others, obtaining necessary supplies, and for health and safety. The order is in effect from March 25 to April 7. (AP Photo/Michael Conroy)

Indiana governor extends virus stay-home order 2 weeks

Indiana’s stay-at-home order was extended Friday for two more weeks as the state’s number of coronavirus-related deaths topped 100 with an anticipated peak of infections still weeks away.

Ball State employee says he tested positive for COVID-19

According to a university press statement Thursday, a Ball State public safety employee has let the university know he as tested positive for COVID-19.

All Indiana K-12 schools to provide remote learning for remaining school year

Gov. Eric Holcomb today signed an executive order requiring all K-12 schools in Indiana to provide instruction via remote learning for the remainder of the 2019-2020 school year, according to a press release from the governor's office. 

Village restaurants try to sustain business amid statewide COVID-19 restriction

When people ask Ball State students like Maddie Carmel how she's doing, she replies, “Happy to have a job.”

President Donald Trump speaks about the coronavirus in the James Brady Press Briefing Room of the White House, Tuesday, March 31, 2020, in Washington. (AP Photo/Alex Brandon)

White House projects 100K to 240K US deaths from virus

President Donald Trump on Tuesday warned Americans to brace for a “rough two-week period” ahead as the White House released new projections that there could be 100,000 to 240,000 deaths in the U.S. from the coronavirus pandemic even if current social distancing guidelines are maintained.

MCS distributes free meals for students during COVID-19 pandemic

While she doesn’t mind having her kids at home, Angelica Lucio said having to feed them extra meals because they’re not in school due to the statewide K-12 school closure “is a lot.”

Ball State extends deadlines, availability of credit/no credit option for students

In a campus-wide email Monday, Susana Rivera-Mills, provost and executive vice president for student affairs, said Ball State will provide grading alternatives for the spring 2020 semester by extending the deadlines and availability of the credit/no credit option.

President Donald Trump speaks during a coronavirus task force briefing in the Rose Garden of the White House, Sunday, March 29, 2020, in Washington. (AP Photo/Patrick Semansky)

Trump adds 30 days to distancing guidelines as virus spreads

President Donald Trump is extending the voluntary national shutdown for a month as sickness and death from the coronavirus pandemic rise in the U.S.

President Donald Trump speaks before he signs the coronavirus stimulus relief package in the Oval Office at the White House, Friday, March 27, 2020, in Washington. Listening are from left, Larry Kudlow, White House chief economic adviser, Treasury Secretary Steven Mnuchin, Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell, R-Ky., and House Minority Leader Kevin McCarty of Calif. (AP Photo/Evan Vucci)

Trump signs $2.2T stimulus after swift congressional votes

President Donald Trump signed an unprecedented $2.2 trillion economic rescue package into law Friday, after swift and near-unanimous action by Congress this week to support businesses, rush resources to overburdened health care providers and help struggling families during the deepening coronavirus epidemic.

Zach Piatt sits with his head in his hands March 22, 2020, at Parkview Field in Fort Wayne, Indiana. “Anytime I walk into an empty sports venue, something feels off,” Piatt said. “It's not right. It's supposed to be buzzing.” Jacob Musselman, DN Illustration

Piatt: Sports world now has brand new meaning for 'normal'

During The Daily News’ editorial board meeting March 12, I got a call back from Ball State Athletic Director Beth Goetz. I excused myself from the room and asked her a few questions, just trying to figure out what in the world was happening.

In this image from video, House Speaker Nancy Pelosi of Calif., speaks on the floor of the House of Representatives at the U.S. Capitol in Washington, Friday, March 27, 2020. (House Television via AP)

House passes $2.2T rescue package, rushes it to Trump

Acting swiftly in an extraordinary time, the House rushed President Donald Trump a $2.2 trillion rescue package Friday, tossing a life preserver to a U.S. economy and health care system left flailing by the coronavirus pandemic.

In this Jan. 31, 2020, photo, President Geoffrey Mearns signs the documentation to extend his presidency at Ball State's Board of Trustees meeting. During its virtual meeting March 27, the board approved the Extraordinary Temporary Paid Leave Plan to alleviate economical difficulties face by university employees during the COVID-19 pandemic. Bailey Cline, DN 

Board of Trustees approves paid leave plan for Ball State employees impacted by COVID-19

Ball State’s Board of Trustees approved the Extraordinary Temporary Paid Leave Plan at its virtual meeting Friday to prevent university employees from being adversely affected economically by the impact of COVID-19.

The Ball State School of Music will host virtual concerts for the rest of the semester in light of its canceled public performances due to the COVID-19 pandemic. Kyle Crawford, DN File

Ball State School of Music to host virtual concert series

In response to the COVID-19 pandemic, several Ball State organizations have had to cancel their in-person events for the rest of the semester, including the Ball State School of Music’s public performances.

Indiana governor signs new executive order to help fight COVID-19

Indiana Gov. Eric Holcomb signed a new executive order Thursday that adds to the state's additional efforts to slow the spread of COVID-19.

In this March 17, 2020, file photo, people wait in line for help with unemployment benefits at the One-Stop Career Center in Las Vegas. A record-high number of people applied for unemployment benefits last week as layoffs engulfed the United States in the face of a near-total economic shutdown caused by the coronavirus. The surge in weekly applications for benefits far exceeded the previous record set in 1982. (AP Photo/John Locher, File)

3.3 million seek US jobless aid, nearly 5 times earlier high

Nearly 3.3 million Americans applied for unemployment benefits last week — almost five times the previous record set in 1982 — amid a widespread economic shutdown caused by the coronavirus.

Nicole Thomas, DN Illustration

6 tips to work, study from home more efficiently

With online learning being a part of Ball State students’ daily routines, some students may have trouble concentrating, which can be incredibly time consuming. While adjusting to the new online schooling environment, consider these six tips to go about your school work efficiently and effectively by staying focused on the task at hand.

Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell of Ky. gives a thumbs up as he arrives on Capitol Hill, Wednesday, March 25, 2020, in Washington. (AP Photo/Andrew Harnik)

Senate unanimously passes massive coronavirus aid plan

The Senate passed an unparalleled $2.2 trillion economic rescue package steering aid to businesses, workers and health care systems engulfed by the coronavirus pandemic.

Second Harvest hosts food tailgate at Muncie Mall

Being the manager of a cafe that is now closed, Sophia Hopkins, general manager for Riverside Cafe, said that she “likes to play it safe.” 

The Quad area in front of the David Owsley Museum of Art sits empty March 23, 2020. Spring commencement ceremonies have historically been held here, but due to COVID-19 precautions, the area will sit empty this May. Emily Wright, DN

Ball State seniors reflect on cancellation of May commencement and abrupt end to school

Anxious, nervous and frustrated — that’s how Gabriel Kinder described his feelings on the numerous changes implemented at the university and elsewhere.

The Scramble Light stands empty at 3 p.m. March 16, 2020, on Ball State's campus. Ball State's Office of Student Affairs listed resources for students in need during the COVID-19 pandemic. Jaden Whiteman, DN

Ball State provides information on resources for students during COVID-19 pandemic

While Ball State closes residence halls and some facilities in response to the COVID-19 pandemic, resources in Muncie and the university are still available for students.

A Second Harvest volunteer prepares a box of fruits for being loaded into a person's vehicle. Some of the food people in line at the tailgate event received included chicken, corn casserole, grapes, oranges and milk. Bailey Cline, DN

Second Harvest Food Bank helps feed community during COVID-19 pandemic

Ralph Whysong said he has been a truck driver for Second Harvest Food Bank for nearly 10 years, and he’s never seen a turnout for free food distribution like he did March 21 at Delta High School.

Tokyo 2020 Organizing Committee president Yoshiro Mori takes a seat at a news conference in Tokyo, Tuesday, March 24, 2020. IOC President Thomas Bach has agreed "100%" to a proposal of postponing the Tokyo Olympics for about one year until 2021 because of the coronavirus outbreak, Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe said Tuesday. (AP Photo/Jae C. Hong)

Tokyo Olympics postponed, U.S. closes in on relief package

The International Olympic Committee on Tuesday postponed this summer’s Tokyo Games for a year as coronavirus deaths mounted around the world and U.S. lawmakers closed in on a nearly $2 trillion deal to help cushion the economic damage from the crisis.

Senior exercise student Danielle Sprouse takes her stuff from the cart to her mom's car March 17, 2020, outside of Park Hall. Multiple students and their families were moving out of all the dorms. Jacob Musselman, DN

Ball State to close residence halls by March 24

Following Indiana Gov. Eric Holcomb's stay-at-home order and communication from Ball State President Geoffrey Mearns, Ball State will be closing all residence halls earlier — by Tuesday, March 24.

Muncie City Council held a special board meeting March 23, 2020. Due to Indiana Gov. Eric Holcomb's executive order issued in response to the global COVID-19 pandemic, the meeting was held over a teleconference platform. Andrew Smith, DN File

Muncie City Council holds virtual special meeting

Muncie City Council’s special meeting Monday started with the invocation of the Pledge of Allegiance, except for one change — it was done over a teleconference meeting.

Indiana Gov. Holcomb announces 'stay-at-home' order

Indiana Gov. Eric J. Holcomb delivered a statewide address Monday to order Hoosiers remain in their homes except when they are at work or for permitted activities, such as taking care of others, obtaining necessary supplies and for health and safety.

Ball State President Geoffrey Mearns speaks to the new graduates Dec. 14, 2019, at the John E. Worthen Arena.  In his closing remarks to the students, he said he wished them good luck and god-speed. Charles Melton, DN

Ball State cancels May commencement ceremonies

In an email sent Monday morning, Ball State President Geoffrey Mearns announced the cancelation of the spring 2020 commencement ceremonies.

In this March 19, 2020, file photo, the Manhattan bridge is seen in the background of a flashing sign urging commuters to avoid gatherings, reduce crowding and to wash hands in the Brooklyn borough of New York. The coronavirus pandemic is leading to information overload for many people, often making it difficult to separate fact from fiction and rumor from deliberate efforts to mislead. (AP Photo/Wong Maye-E, File)

Virus outbreak means (mis)information overload: How to cope

The coronavirus pandemic is leading to information overload for many people, often making it difficult to separate fact from fiction and rumor from deliberate efforts to mislead. 

The Scramble Light remains empty 3 p.m. March 16, 2020, on Ball State's campus. President Geoffrey Mearns announced classes would be online for the remainder of the spring semester, and dorms will close March 29. Jaden Whiteman, DN

Ball State updates COVID-19 action plan in response to disaster emergency declaration

Following Delaware County's emergency disaster declaration Friday, Ball State President Geoffrey Mearns sent a campus-wide email updating the university's action plan in accordance with the declaration.

Delaware County has first death due to COVID-19

In a press release, the Delaware County Health Department (DCHD) confirmed the first death due to SAR-CoV-2, the virus that causes the COVID-19 infection.

Delaware County commissioners update emergency disaster declaration

The Delaware County Board of Commissioners signed an emergency disaster declaration Friday listing additional closures of businesses in the county, effective immediately.

IU Health begins COVID-19 testing through its pathology laboratory

Indiana University (IU) Health now has the capability to test for the SARS-CoV-2 virus, which causes COVID-19, using its pathology laboratory, according to a press release from the hospital.

Delaware County Health Department reports county's first case of COVID-19

The Delaware County Health Department (DCHD) reported late Friday that an individual within the county has tested positive through lab testing for SARS-CoV-2, the virus that causes COVID-19 infection, according to a (DCHD) press release.

Kaiti Sullivan, DN File 

Here's where Muncie Community Schools is distributing meals

All schools in Indiana, including Muncie Community Schools (MCS), will remain closed until May 1, following the announcement by Gov. Eric Holcomb Thursday.

During the current election, many voters have found themselves voting out of party in the national election due to widely unpopular candidates for the primary parties. Samantha Brammer // DN

Indiana’s May 5 primary postponed due to coronavirus threat

Indiana political leaders said Friday that they decided to postpone the state’s May 5 primary because of concern about the coronavirus pandemic.

Treasury Secretary Steve Mnuchin, center, speaks with members of the media as he departs a meeting with Senate Republicans on an economic lifeline for Americans affected by the coronavirus outbreak. on Capitol Hill in Washington, Monday, March 16, 2020. (AP Photo/Patrick Semansky)

Income tax filing deadline moved to July 15 from April 15

The income tax filing date has been pushed back from April 15, to July 15, Treasury Secretary Steven Mnuchin said.

Unsplash, Photo Courtesy

6 feet apart: How to stay entertained while social distancing

For the remainder of the semester, most Ball State events students turn to for entertainment have been canceled due to COVID-19, including University Program Board’s Late Nites, Ball State’s Theatre and Dance performances and more. 

As of March 19, 2020, Ball State announced it will be closing all its recreational and sports facilities until further notice. The announcement was made after the joint disaster emergency declaration by Delaware County and the City of Muncie. Samantha Brammer, DN File

Ball State closes recreational facilities after disaster emergency declaration

In light of Thursday's joint disaster emergency declaration by Delaware County and the City of Muncie, Ball State announced it will be closing all its recreational and sports facilities effective immediately until further notice.

Indiana National Guard to support emergency operations amid COVID-19 pandemic

In an executive order signed Monday, Gov. Eric Holcomb announced the activation of the Indiana National Guard to support efforts and operations during the COVID-19 pandemic.

Delaware County's board of commissioners and the mayor of Muncie signed and enacted a disaster emergency declaration March 19, 2020. Part of the declaration includes the closure of several types of local businesses. Andrew Smith, DN File

Muncie, Delaware County declare disaster emergency in response to COVID-19 pandemic

Delaware County's board of commissioners and the mayor of Muncie signed and enacted a disaster emergency declaration Thursday, stating that certain measures must be put into place to slow the spread of COVID-19.

Indiana governor announces all K-12 schools closed, extends emergency policies

Indiana Gov. Eric. J Holcomb signed new executive orders to slow the spread of COVID-19, according to a press release sent out Thursday. The current state of emergency has extended an additional 30 days.

Exercise science senior Danielle Sprouse moves out of her dorm March 18, 2020, outside of Park Hall. Students were told on March 16 the dorms would be closing by 5 p.m. March 29. Jacob Musselman, DN

Ball State UPD shares advice for students moving out of residence halls

Ball State’s University Police (UPD) tweeted out advice for people coming to the university to pick up their students before Ball State residence halls close 5 p.m. March 29.

Freshman human resources major Magid Saleh loads his refrigerator into his car March 17, 2020, outside Park Hall. Students were given a notice Monday night the dorms would be closing March 29. Jacob Musselman, DN

Ball State students reflect on university’s changes in response to COVID-19 pandemic

Pushing down a cart with boxes and suitcases of her belongings on a windy Tuesday morning, freshman visual communications major Madison Clark made her way to her mother’s car.

President Aiden Medellin (third from left) stands alongside his slate members during the 2019 Student Government Association (SGA) elections. SGA held its first virtual meeting via the Webex online video conferencing platform March 18, 2020. Scott Fleener, DN File

Ball State SGA hosts first virtual meeting

Ball State’s Student Government Association (SGA) hosted its first virtual meeting Wednesday through Cisco’s Webex online video conference platform.

Delaware County HSEMA director updates community on COVID-19 response

Delaware County’s Emergency Operations Center has been closed to the public and has been activated in response to the COVID-19 pandemic, said Jason Rogers, Delaware County emergency management director, in his Tuesday briefing.

In a March 17, 2020, press release, Indiana University Health (IU Health) announced it is rescheduling elective, non-urgent surgeries and procedures at all hospitals and facilities. On March 15, IU Health announced temporary visitor restrictions to protect patients and team members and prevent further spreading. Rohith Rao, DN

IU Health to reschedule elective surgeries, begins to move to virtual care

In a press release sent out March 16,  an Indiana University Health (IU Health) spokesperson said in the release that to ensure the safety of their team members and preserve resources, new guidance has been given to IU Health providers and team members.

Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell of Ky., walks back to his office on Capitol Hill in Washington, Tuesday, March 17, 2020. (AP Photo/Susan Walsh)

White House seeks $850B economic stimulus for virus response

The White House was asking Congress on Tuesday to approve a sweeping emergency stimulus package to help businesses and taxpayers cope with the economic fallout of the coronavirus pandemic. It’s the most far-reaching economic rescue package since the Great Recession of 2008.

2nd death reported in Indiana due to COVID-19

In a press release, the Indiana State Department of Health (ISDH) announced Tuesday morning that a second death due to COVID-19 was reported in Johnson County.

Ball State president updates university response to COVID-19 pandemic

In a campus-wide email Monday, Ball State President Geoffrey Mearns updated the university's response to the coronavirus outbreak with new changes including closing the residence halls, canceling and postponing events, dining services and faculty and staff operations.

Stephanie Amador, DN File

Ball State's Counseling Center updates campus on changes amid COVID-19 concerns

Following Ball State beginning to move to online classes, its Counseling Center will begin to make its own changes, according to an email sent out Monday by the center.

People walk in Union Station in Washington, Monday, March 16, 2020. The U.S. surgeon general says the number of coronavirus cases in the United States has reached the level that Italy recorded two weeks ago. It's a sign that infections are expected to rise in America as the government steps up testing and financial markets continue to fall. (AP Photo/Patrick Semansky)

US tells older people to stay home, all ages to avoid crowds

The White House on Monday urged all older Americans to stay home and everyone to avoid crowds and eating out at restaurants as part of sweeping guidelines meant to combat an expected surge of coronavirus cases.

Indiana confirms 1st death from COVID-19

At a press conference Monday, Indiana Governor Eric J. Holcomb and the Indiana State Department of Health (ISDH) announced the first Indiana death from COVID-19.

Indiana Gov. Eric Holcomb speaks with reporters about the state's coronavirus response on Friday, March 13, 2020, at his Statehouse office in Indianapolis. Holcomb said he's leaving the decision on whether schools should be closed to local officials, unlike the Michigan and Ohio governors who've ordered statewide school closings. (AP Photo/Tom Davies)

Indiana governor ordering restaurants, bars to close

Indiana’s governor is ordering restaurants and bars closed to in-person customers in another step toward stemming the spread of the coronavirus.

Dr. Lisa Jackson, a senior investigator at the Kaiser Permanente Washington Health Research Institute, works in her office with an image of COVID-19 taped to her door, Sunday, March 15, 2020, in Seattle. Jackson is leading the first-stage safety study clinical trial of a potential vaccine for COVID-19, the disease caused by the new coronavirus, which was given to the first volunteer in the study by injection, Monday, March 16. (AP Photo/Ted S. Warren)

Coronavirus vaccine test opens as US volunteer gets 1st shot

U.S. researchers gave the first shot to the first person in a test of an experimental coronavirus vaccine Monday -- leading off a worldwide hunt for protection even as the pandemic surges.

A gun store customer that gave his name only at John waits in line, Sunday, March 15, 2020, in Burbank, Calif. As consumers are buying all kinds of goods in large quantities amid coronavirus concerns, putting pressure on inventories, John stated that he was there to buy ammunition because most other stores were out and he wanted to stock up. (AP Photo/Mark J. Terrill)

Government official: Coronavirus vaccine trial starts Monday

A clinical trial evaluating a vaccine designed to protect against the new coronavirus will begin Monday, according to a government official.

President Donald Trump speaks during a briefing about the coronavirus in the James Brady Press Briefing Room of the White House, Sunday, March 15, 2020, in Washington. (AP Photo/Alex Brandon)

Trump calls on Americans to cease hoarding food, supplies

President Donald Trump on Sunday called on Americans to cease hoarding groceries and other supplies, while one of the nation’s most senior public health officials called on the nation to act with more urgency to safeguard their health as the coronavirus outbreak continued to spread across the United States. Dr. Anthony Fauci says he would like to see aggressive measures such as a 14-day national shutdown.

President Aiden Medellin (third from left) stands alongside his slate members during the 2019 Student Government Association elections Under new guidelines from Ball State’s Office of Student Life, attendance at student organization events must have no more than 100 people. Scott Fleener, DN File

Takeaways from Ball State’s new guidelines for student organizations

Following guidelines for hosting events issued by Ball State’s president and the governor of Indiana, Ball State’s Office of Student Life has issued new guidelines for student organizations effective immediately.

In a press release, Jagdish Khubchandani, health science at Ball State, recommends drying all devices with cloth or blow drying them after cleaning. Jacob Musselman, DN Illustration

Ball State professor: cleaning devices could help slow the spread of COVID-19

Cleaning phones and other electronic devices could “go a long way” in slowing the spread of COVID-19, according to a Ball State health science professor.

Daily News staff members create the newspaper while reporting on Ball State University's plan in response to COVID-19 March 11, 2020, in the Unified Media Lab. Lisa Renze-Rhodes, Photo Provided

Letter From the Editor: The news doesn’t stop, and neither does The Daily News

Our paid staff will continue to work diligently in a sanitized and safe workspace as long as we are able, while other staff members work just as hard remotely to continue providing thorough, quality coverage of Ball State and Muncie.

Delaware Community School Corporation closes amid COVID-19 concerns

Delaware Community School Corporation (DCSC) schools will be closed beginning March 16 through at least April 3, said DCSC Superintendent Reece Mann in his letter.

President Donald Trump speaks during a news conference about the coronavirus in the Rose Garden of the White House, March 13, 2020, in Washington. (AP Photo/Evan Vucci)

Trump declares virus pandemic a national emergency

President Donald Trump announced Friday that he is declaring the coronavirus pandemic a national emergency, as Washington struggles with providing Americans with relief and officials race to slow the spread of the outbreak.

Muncie Community Schools moves to e-learning amid COVID-19 concerns

Starting March 16, all schools in the Muncie Community Schools district will observe e-learning instruction, said CEO of MCS, Lee Ann Kwiatkowski, in a letter addressed to families of MCS students, fa