‘Joker,’ ‘Frozen 2’ among 13 movies to screen during Friday Night Filmworks

Unsplash, Photo Courtesy
Unsplash, Photo Courtesy

Ball State students and their friends and family can enjoy a night out at the movies throughout the spring semester with University Program Board’s (UPB) Friday Night Filmworks. 

All movie showings are free for students. Guests are permitted as long as they are 16 years or older, accompanied by a Ball State student and pay $1. Doors will open at 8:15 p.m., and screenings will begin at 9 p.m. 

On Feb.13, Friday Night Filmworks will be held in the L.A Pittenger Student Center. All other showings will be held in Pruis Hall. 

“Once Upon a Time in Hollywood”

Jan. 10

Formally a star in 1950s television Westerns, actor Rick Dalton, played by Leonardo DiCaprio, is struggling to find work in a newly unrecognizable Hollywood. Now, Dalton spends most of his time drinking with his best friend and longtime stunt double, Cliff Booth, played by Brad Pitt. Dalton and Booth try to search through Hollywood for their next big break in the final years of the Golden Age.

“Knives Out”

Jan. 17

Actors Daniel Craig and Chris Evans star in “Knives Out,” a murder mystery comedy where detective Benoit Blanc looks into the death of Harlan Thrombey, a renowned crime novelist. Paid anonymously to investigate, Blanc speaks with Thrombey’s family and staff to find out what truly happened behind the novelist’s apparent suicide. 

“Harriet”

Jan. 24

"Harriet" is the tale of Harriet Tubman’s journey of escaping slavery and helping to free hundreds of slaves in a similar situation to her own. Through her story, Tubman becomes one of America’s heroes. 

“Doctor Sleep”

Jan. 31

After the events of the 1980s film “The Shining,” Danny Torrance finds himself with psychic abilities because of years of childhood trauma. Torrance attempts to save a young girl from a cult known to the public as The True Knot, whose sole purpose is to prey upon young children who have powers that allow them to remain immortal. 

“Joker”

Feb. 7

Society disregards mentally-troubled comedian Arthur Fleck, played by Joaquin Phoenix. After mistreatment and ignorance inflicted on Fleck, he slowly descends down a spiral of madness. Leaving behind the mediocre life he once knew, Fleck finds out the truth about himself and his alter-ego, Joker.

“Isn’t It Romantic”

Feb. 14

Natalie, played by actress Rebel Wilson, is cynical about love. One of her fears come true when after getting knocked unconscious, she wakes up in New York where everything happens according to a PG-13 romantic comedy. 

“Queen & Slim”

Feb. 21

After Queen and Slim’s dinner date, a police officer pulls them over and makes Slim get out of the car for not complying with his orders. The police officer aims his gun at Slim, and as Queen tries to video the incident on her phone, the police officer shoots at her. After the situation escalates and Slim shoots the police officer in self-defense, Queen convinces Slim they need to go on the run to avoid spending their lives in prison. 

“Frozen 2”

March 13

While Elsa has accepted her powers to create ice and snow, she doesn’t feel settled as Queen of Arendelle, as she hears a mysterious voice calling out to her. Elsa, her sister Anna, and her friends, Kristoff, Olaf and Sven, all travel to the Enchanted Forest in order to follow the mysterious voice and save the future of their kingdom. 

“Charlie’s Angels”

March 20

As the third movie in the “Charlie’s Angels” film series, “Charlie’s Angels” features a new generation of Angels who work for the Townsend Agency, a private detective agency. Kristen Stewart, Naomi Scott and Ella Balinska star as Angels who are working to get back Calisto, a revolutionary power source that has been stolen. 

“A Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood”

March 27

When Lloyd Vogel, an investigative journalist, receives his assignment on Mister Fred Rogers, he is skeptical of Rogers' overly good nature. As Rogers' kindness and positive outlook on life begin to rub off on Vogel, the two discover their unlikely friendship. 

Frog Baby Film Festival

April 3

The Frog Baby Film Festival is an event where students can submit their films to be judged by faculty members for awards such as “Best Cinematography,” “Best Screenplay,” “Best Direction” and more. 

“Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker”

April 10 

Members of the Resistance return to the big screen once more with “Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker.” Finn and Poe work to stop the First Order’s plans to start a new empire while Rey confronts Kylo Ren, who has been sent to kill her. 

“Jumanji: The Next Level” 

April 18

When Spencer returns back into the game of Jumanji, his friends, Fridge, Martha and Bethany, make a reappearance to save Spencer. Because there is a glitch in the game, Jumanji is now fighting back. The friends try to overcome new obstacles.

Audience Choice

April 24 

This film has not been announced yet. UPB will send out a survey for students to vote on what movie they want shown during the last Friday Night Filmwork of the semester.