Ball State Basketball looking to carry early momentum

Tahjai Teague, Miryne Thomas, Jarron Coleman, and Kyle Mallers of Ball State Men’s Basketball practicing on Nov. 17. The team opens up begins a five-game homestand Nov. 18.

MUNCIE, Ind. (NewsLink) — The Men's Basketball squad burst out of the gate to a 3-1 start in the early goings of the season.  Their only loss: a four point defeat to an Evansville squad that knocked off 9th ranked Kentucky.

Senior forward Tahjai Teague led the team to a preseason all-MAC selection.  Teague, who claimed MAC West player of the week, hopes that these early season games can serve as lessons for the team. 

"I mean it's so early into the season, so [we are] just trying to get better,” said Teague.  “Every game is a learning experience. You know, an Evansville loss didn't break us, an Evansville wasn't going to make us.  You know, just trying to get better each and every day."

While Teague is nearly averaging a double-double, he is not the only player standing out on offense. The team boasts three players, Ish el-Amin, Luke Bumbalough, and forward Kyle Mallers, shooting above 40% percent from three point range, which in turn has helped open up the attack. 

“I'm liking how the offense is flowing right now,” said Mallers. “We're playing together and we are doing what it takes to shoot well from three.”

The new season means new hopes to a team that believes they can make a deep run in the MAC tournament.  Teague, in particular, thinks the team has more than an outside shot at a conference title.

"It’s a toss up league this year.  You know, obviously Buffalo was the outright team last year, and this year I don't feel like there is a team.  Like I feel like it's anybody's league. So i'm just trying to get better for when it's time for the conference,” said Teague.

The team will open up a five game homestand Wednesday. They currently boast an astounding 17 home-game-win streak against non-conference opponents, with their last loss against IUPUI in December 2016.  

Tip-off against 2019 NCAA tournament team, Northern Kentucky is at 7 p.m.

For comments or concerns about this story, contact the author at pechoroser@bsu.ed